Rear End ID HELP!!

-

Treblig

Reaction score
Just bought this car ('68 FB Cuda). It has a rear end that doesn't show on the Mopar Axle spotter's guide. Here are some pics. I plan to sell (part out the car) but I can't advertise the rear unless I know exactly what it is.

thanks,
Treblig

Attachments

• DSC02245.JPG
    117.7 KB · Views: 361
  • DSC02246.JPG
    120.9 KB · Views: 290
Could it be non-mopar?? Or rather, did Mopar make a rear axle without a fill hole??

Treblig

The one on the chart is a bit exaggerated. It looks like ten bolts from here, 8 1/4 it is.

thanks 73Abodee, I used the same ID sheet as you have but my rear is round and the one in the pic (8 1/4) is not round.

Treblig

technically , the one in your picture is not round either , its just rounder than the one in the chart lol

Attachments

• axle4.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 265
technically , the one in your picture is not round either , its just rounder than the one in the chart lol

Yours is so much nicer looking than mine. I guess I need to jack it up and check for sure-grip?? I plan to sell it but I want to make an honest assessment of what I'm selling. It is in a a-body, can you give me an idea of what it's worth?

thanks,
Treblig

It's a rusted all to hell 8.250.

Not to be a downer, but unless there is a sure grip or something other then a "2" something gearset in it.....I'd only pay scrap value.

The area in yellow is hopefully just extreme scaling, but it looks a little scary to me.

Attachments

• 119.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 243
Yeah, it looks like that axle tube is kicked up....as in beginning to break off.

If you zoom in on the pic it appears to be an optical illusion. Light and shadow making it Lok bad.

I looked at it earlier and it doesn't look like the pic shows. I plan to remove it and clean it up and check it out good so no worries.
Just wondering what it was worth if it checks out OK.
Thanks,treblig

You do need to find out what's in it? I'm not sure what size rims are in your pictures, but the brakes look fairly large. Wonder what it originally came out of, and was it modified to fit the early "A"?

I have the fender tag. Would that tell me if it came with the car??

Treblig

Attachments

• DSC02297.JPG
    120.1 KB · Views: 217
  • DSC02298.JPG
    118.8 KB · Views: 238
I'll try and run that plate for you, but a 8 1/4" didn't come in that car. I think that rear was first used around 68/69' in "B" body's? 73' in the "A's"...

Thanks Rick, I would really appreciate it. I bought the car but it's been totally disassembled. It has parts from 67 and 68 Cudas. Still trying to figure it all out.

Thanks,
Treblig

Here's what I came up with from the fender tag.....if I entered everything correctly. :D

Plymouth Barracuda 2 Door Sports Hardtop
ENGINE: 318cid 2-bbl V8
TRANSMISSION: 3-Speed Automatic
TIRES: D70x14 White Sidewall
MODEL YEAR: 1968
BUILD DATE: October 23.
AXLE: 3.23 Rear Axle Ratio
INTERIOR: High Trim Grade, Vinyl Bucket Seats. White on Blue Interior.
PAINT: Bright Blue Metallic (Dodge), Electric Blue Metallic (Plymouth).
OTHER: Light Blue Metallic (Dodge), Frost Blue Metallic (Plymouth) Upper Door Frame Color.
MOLDINGS:
14: Sill Mouldings
25: Drip Rail Mouldings
30: Body Belt Mouldings
73: Unknown Option
ABC OPTIONS:
R1: AM Radio
S1: Air Conditioning
X1: Tinted Glass (all)
abc OPTIONS:
a6: Console
b4: Bucket Seats
h7: Fender or Hood Mounted Turn Signal Indicators
m6: Driver's Outside Remote Operated Mirror
u1: Sold Car When Built (Somebody Ordered It)

I hope these numbers look like they match up? If so, that's a really sweet car...

I would say about 150 bucks max.

-
Back