rear end lumpy and tight... HELP!

-

thejohnnyguy

Young Gun
Reaction score
8 3/4 Suregrip rear, cone style with the 741 case.

Should it be easy and smooth when I'm turning the yoke to make the wheels spin? It's hard to spin and when it does spin its not a smooth spin. :scratch:
It is low on gear oil but it had this problem when it was full of oil too.
HELP PLEASE! :sad1:

Lumpy is not good,time to pull the center out and have a lookie-see.

Yup. Could be rust, debri, worn/ pitted / damaged gear teeth or bearings.

FIRST thing to do is yank the axles and make sure it's not the shoes/ drums/ pad rubbing, or rough axle bearings.

sounds like an out of round drum. was it quiet when you ran it last?

Pop the wheels and drums off then try it, you have to go there anyways if your going to pull the centersection.

sounds like an out of round drum. was it quiet when you ran it last?

Pop the wheels and drums off then try it, you have to go there anyways if your going to pull the centersection.

Does it what drums are off, I'll check the Axle bearings. What do I look for in the center section if the bearings seem ok?

It still has tight spots with the brake drums off? Last time you drove the car was the rear end humming, grinding, whining, ect?

If it does, start with the axle bearings. Look for pits, flaked bearing races, chewed up rollers, or blueing.

Then check the pinion again, still does it, then pull the centersection. One thing at a time. :thumblef:

Learn something new every day... It was the adjuster on the passenger side, it was adjusted all the way in which (I guess) made the axle stick in too far. I adjusted it to about 1/2 way out and it's very smooth and much much easier to turn. Phew... Love when I end up saving money...

That adjustment is pretty critical so it can cause problems. Being too loose is also bad. Do you have a dial indicator to check the axle end play? If not I'd recommend getting one and adjusting the end play properly as just turning it 1/2 way out is not a good way to do it because now your axle bearings may be too loose which will ruin them.

That adjustment is pretty critical so it can cause problems. Being too loose is also bad. Do you have a dial indicator to check the axle end play? If not I'd recommend getting one and adjusting the end play properly as just turning it 1/2 way out is not a good way to do it because now your axle bearings may be too loose which will ruin them.

I don't have a dial indicator... I'll have to do some research and look into getting one though. I didn't realize it was that critical.

Dont know what I'de do without FABO! :p (probably learn everything the hard way)

Axle shaft end play..... measured on the passenger side axle shaft.
1965-69..... .013-.023"
1970-74..... .008-.018"

I don't have a dial indicator... I'll have to do some research and look into getting one though. I didn't realize it was that critical.

Dont know what I'de do without FABO! :p (probably learn everything the hard way)

You can pick up a dial indicator and magnetic base from Summit fairly cheap. Might even find a deal on E-bay if your an E-bay'er

Axle shaft end play..... measured on the passenger side axle shaft.
1965-69..... .013-.023"
1970-74..... .008-.018"

Hum... I didn't realize the 70-74 rears were spec'd different. Nevertheless, I always shoot for .008~.010" cause I don't like things slapping around. Just my preference.

-
Back