Rear end pricing

-

Americanstandard

Reaction score
I'm learning how to do a 440 swap on my 225 Slant 6 '70 Dart.
It's definitely a project seeing how I don't have money to get the best of things for her..

I found a listing for an a-body 8 3/4" rear end.
New 4 1/2" big bolt pattern axles
New axle bearings and seals
New 11" by 2 1/2" brakes
Rebuild 3.23 posi
New steel brake lines

How much would you price this? (The asking price is 1350)
Will I have to do anything to it?
It looks like it's ready to be swapped onto my Dart haha

A Moser 60 is about +2 grand, quite a bit above my budget. BUT, brand new and customizable.

I can only find Dana 60s from trucks at various prices and conditions for under 1k. Above 2k, there's a few in used condition.

It looks like my best bet is to ask for a lower price on the rear end. It sounds and looks basically new since it's been reconditioned.
Think asking for 1000 is too low?
I think I want it, but not if it's too expensive. That 350 could go towards a new radiator

Which read you get has a lot to do with what your plans for the car are and what you do with the motor.

If it has all new brakes and has been fully rebuilt then $1350 is a good price. A body 8 3/4 rear ends are not very plentiful and if you were to get a B<C<E body 8 3/4 and have it cut down to A body specs and rebuild it as described you couldn't do it for $1350. Offer the $1,000, but if he doesn't budge I'd still buy it for the asking price.

I wouldn't pay $1350 for a "rebuilt" rear end without at least seeing some receipts. Anyone could clean up an A body rear end, hit it with some rattle cans and claim that it's rebuilt. Unless you know the guy or he has a legitimate company, I would look at the rear end very closely and examine his work.

I sold a GOOD A body rear end with a 3.23 sure grip for $500 two years ago. Was it "rebuilt"? No, but it was running and driving down the highway with NO problems whatsoever.

Deals are out there, but they're not going to find you...

I wouldn't pay $1350 for a "rebuilt" rear end without at least seeing some receipts. Anyone could clean up an A body rear end, hit it with some rattle cans and claim that it's rebuilt. Unless you know the guy or he has a legitimate company, I would look at the rear end very closely and examine his work.

I sold a GOOD A body rear end with a 3.23 sure grip for $500 two years ago. Was it "rebuilt"? No, but it was running and driving down the highway with NO problems whatsoever.

Deals are out there, but they're not going to find you...

x2. This seems to be the next "big thang" in mopars - rear axle rebuilders. You really want to make sure you get a written warranty with it and preferrably buy only from someone with a strong positive record - one or two successes is not a strong record IMO. I prefer to buy running cores or get deals on obviously shot stuff if I know I need to do work one them. Expect to drop $600-800 on a good runnable 8 3/4 complete w/brakes.

x2. This seems to be the next "big thang" in mopars - rear axle rebuilders. You really want to make sure you get a written warranty with it and preferrably buy only from someone with a strong positive record - one or two successes is not a strong record IMO. I prefer to buy running cores or get deals on obviously shot stuff if I know I need to do work one them. Expect to drop $600-800 on a good runnable 8 3/4 complete w/brakes.

Xs3. To start with make absolutely sure that it is a real A body rearend. What case is it? From looking at the ad the guy builds them at home. He builds trannys too.

Here is a picture of the rearend. Does this look like a cut down housing to you?

Attachments

• 3Mf3J43le5N15Ea5Jdcc8b6476574ca211922.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 426
  • 3F73J33N15E65K35M4cc8ad66b03f0309186e.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 418
  • 3E43Ld3If5K45H25Mecc857b6639d21d210a9.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 461
  • 3Gd3I43Fd5Ic5L85M5cc85971d674a08511ed.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 410
  • 3Ed3Mc3m45Eb5Hc5R5cc8011110203dbc1c02.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 427
If you are interested in a Moser 60......I may be able to help you. I know a guy that works there. Could save you some $$$. If you are interested PM me with what you are looking for and Ill get you a price.

*cough* Ford 8.8. Unless your trying to be a purist, which takes money. These axles can take 500hp/tq stock, every day. Did my entire build for $200. Comes with disk brakes too. Read top sticky link. :)

*cough* Ford 8.8. Unless your trying to be a purist, which takes money. These axles can take 500hp/tq stock, every day. Did my rebuild for $200. Comes with disk brakes too. Read top sticky link. :)

X2^^ Had mine cutdown and installed in less than a week. Posi track discs AND 3:73 gear.

I agree with Brian T. Unless that's a brand new center section, brand new axles with bearings, with receipts, I would not buy it. Taking a huge risk without a warranty. Spend that kind of money and "hope" it's right? Don't think so!

Xs3. To start with make absolutely sure that it is a real A body rearend. What case is it? From looking at the ad the guy builds them at home. He builds trannys too.

Here is a picture of the rearend. Does this look like a cut down housing to you?

Hard to clearly make it out, but yes it does

*cough* Ford 8.8. Unless your trying to be a purist, which takes money. These axles can take 500hp/tq stock, every day. Did my entire build for $200. Comes with disk brakes too. Read top sticky link. :)

O wow.

I don't want to keep her stock, and would like to upgrade.
My buddy suggested a Dana 60, but I'll definitely look into a Ford 8.8.

To put it inperspective,
I bought a bare rear housing off this site, time it was shipped to me $350.00
Dr Diff axles were about $330.00
I used the backing plates off my 7 1/4 rear.
New 10x2.5 drums, brakes, hardware, wheel clylinders, brake lines, and new emergency brake cables. about $250.00
I already had a 489 3.23 sure grip that was good, but If I had to buy one it would be ballpark $500.00
Add it up it comes to $1430.00, so if the guy has reciepts that is a reasonable price to pay for that rear.

The axles alone from Moser are $370 then you need everything else .... barrings, chuck, breaks ......

I bought a Dana 60 with a trac lock and 3.54 gears out of a u pull it yard for $50. After I buy axles, brakes, housing ends and install the power lock diff I have it won't sound like such a bargain. There was a member here just sold a ready to go stock width A-body Dana 60 for $1,300 which I thought was a fair price. If you look around and try to be knowledgeable about what you want there are deals out there. The housing it the picture looks cut down just outside the perches to me so I would pass on that one. Shiny does not necessarily mean good.

No they are not!!!!!

I'm going to do the Ford 8.8 also. It is so plentiful in limited slip and good ratios and the 31 spline explorer ones are strong: Ford 8.8 31spline COT: 1360 MOT: 5100 Dana60 semifloat COT: 1500 MOT: 5500. You also get disc brakes. So a $250-$300 takeout assembly and then $50 for another short side axle. Heck, the average joe sticking his head up underneath will think its a 8 3/4 anyway!

I'm going to do the Ford 8.8 also. It is so plentiful in limited slip and good ratios and the 31 spline explorer ones are strong: Ford 8.8 31spline COT: 1360 MOT: 5100 Dana60 semifloat COT: 1500 MOT: 5500. You also get disc brakes. So a $250-$300 takeout assembly and then $50 for another short side axle. Heck, the average joe sticking his head up underneath will think its a 8 3/4 anyway!

And that's on the rich side.

If the rear is cut down & then rewelded properly in a jig then who cares if it's been cut down or not?
So many different ways to skin this cat. But yes you could spend $1350.00 easily on having a rear built with new components. I agree with BrianT & moper.
I got real lucky on the last 8 3/4 I bought, a real A body rear drum to drum w/ brakes for $300 & he threw in a set of leaf springs & rims. But those deals don't happen often. I got real lucky! His wife was on him to get ride of it since they sold their house. I should have dealt with her on it! Lol!

spent a helluvah lot of time pulling a rear end off a ford, but i got one. only one i could find at the junkyard.

603195-5 BOM Dana 60

200.00. looked pretty nice, didn't have the patience to remove the drums.

XfoFO.jpg

"D0TA-AS: Dana 60 / 3.73-1 / non Limited Slip / 5200 lb. Rear Axle Capacity / Rear Axle Parts List # 93.

Decoded from the 1964/72 Ford Truck Parts Catalog / Differential Carrier & Axle ID Chart / Section 40.3 / Page 6."

"1971-72 F-250 3/4 Ton HD 4x2 Pick-up - Full-Float
603195-5 Standard [Diff] 3.73" - [ame]http://www2.dana.com/pdf/X510-8DSD.pdf[/ame]

*Getting jacks back from a friend so it sits off the floor btw.

I'm conflicted with this purchase. I intend to rebuild it to match the specs I want.

On one hand, people tell me that it's easier to get a 8 3/4" rear in and its easy to find parts to match.

On the other hand, people tell me it's easier to get Dana 60 parts. It shouldn't be a problem fitting the rear if it's re-perched and chopped, right?

Is weight the deciding factor between the two?

-
Back