Rear end questions - rebulid

-

grassy

Reaction score
Hi,

I have taken our 8 3/4 axel apart and had new bearings put on the axels.

The axels are back and now I should be putting all back together.

Do I do any cleaning except for wiping off the old grease in the ends and stuff in the housing ? Do I spray the gears with anything ?
How much oil goes back in ?

Thanks
Grassy

You could, but don't have to clean the inside of the tubes. So long as there not exposed to water for any length of time creating that nasty goo that oil and water create after sitting for a while.

Just clean up the outsides of the grease and etc.... install the center section and fill with dino oil until it drips out of the upper hole that you use to fill it. No need to spray anything on it.
Your good to go. Drive away slowly and slowly accel to the roads speed limit. No need to get on it right there and then. You could just drive to the Hwy and see how you like it. It'll be fine.

Thank-you very much. I appreciate the quick and knowledgeable response...

Oh, my 13 and 15 year old are doing most of the work..I am more of a guide but it helps if I know what I am doing :) :) :)

I was *very* pleased when my kids said that they did not want a rice burner...there is some hope for their generation.

Ian.

I'd clean all the grime and such in the axle tubes with brake clean and shop air. Don't want that stuff getting into your bearings.

thanks..I just got a com,pressor for x-mas..the kids give me tools and they use them :)

Don't forget a small bottle of the slippery stuff (friction modifier) if your differential is a sure grip.

Terry

Glad to hear you're getting the kids out in the shop for some hands on. Nothing replaces practical knowledge. Even happier to hear they don't want rice burners!!

One additional question that I have to his initial question. What do you torque the cover bolts to? I couldn't find anything to tell me what the proper spec is.

-
Back