Rear end shifted

-

Mopar204

Reaction score
Was looking at my car today and noticed my rear end was substantially over to the passenger side. When I got underneath the car I noticed a bent shackle. I assuming that’s not the only issue. When I measured the gaps between my tires and quarters, I noticed the drivers side had 1-1/2” bigger gap. Making me think it shift over 3/4”. Would the shackles being bent cause this substantial shift in the rear end? What should be done to fix/prevent this from happening.

94D823AD-75A9-4D99-9B05-3CF3D14D071F.jpeg

3871F32E-8DD5-4246-B631-356006CD5AB9.jpeg

D10F4C13-0200-4B5C-8617-9FADFFC87BD7.jpeg

282A95BD-087A-44BB-A334-4322540A29B9.jpeg

Probably from hard launches. I think it's time for better shackles than the originals...

If the shackles aren't bent, replace the bushings with some good urethane bushings. They look worn slam out.

It looks like both sets of shackles are being pushed hard to the outside by the springs.

I’d be taking a good hard look at the spring perches. Like are they the correct width? Are the spring pins centered up in the holes in the perches? And once all that is checked, making sure the u-bolts are correct and torqued correctly.

At the least it’s time for new shackles and bushings, but I’d check that other stuff too.

@DoctorDiff sells HD shackles with his front hangers. Maybe he’ll sell them separately if you call?

Mopar Replacement Leaf Spring Hangers

I would get the rear off the ground and check runout on the wheels.

IMHO the rear took a hit sideways into a curb to bend the shakles and offset the rear that much.

I would also be sure the u bolts and perch centering bolt is in good shape. I have bought a few 8 3/4 with elongated center holes

I would get the rear off the ground and check runout on the wheels.

IMHO the rear took a hit sideways into a curb to bend the shakles and offset the rear that much.

I would also be sure the u bolts and perch centering bolt is in good shape. I have bought a few 8 3/4 with elongated center holes
I think you hit this right on the button. Now that you bring it up, I remember hitting a curb pretty hard a few years back and never thought anything of it. I had my rim straightened but didn’t think to check the rear end. Now I’ll have to pull some stuff apart and replace my shackles at minimum. Thanks danadart

Maaaain reason it came to my mind is my dad had something similar. A car t boned the rear of my /his Dart. the rear moved far enough to put a rub mark on the inner fender about 2 inches. I don't know what was replaced ( I was too young to be told of the details)

If you look at these 2 photos you can see lateral shift to the pass side (arrows)

Screenshot_20220910-231114.png
Screenshot_20220910-231047.png

-
Back