Rear end swap help

-

DJAISU

Reaction score
Im just about to do a slant 6 to v8 swap and am looking for information on a good rearend to swap to for a reasonable price. any help woul.d be greatly appreciated.

My car: 1973 Dodge Dart Swinger

What is the car going to be used for and what motor is going to be in it? Street car with a mild small block, 8 1/4 would be fine but if your making big power and or want to race then 8 3/4 or Dana. Unless you want to go ford then just get a 8.8 out of a explorer or ranger and cut it down. Need more info though.

Im gonna use it mainly for street driving. Im putting a built 360 magnum that will produce about 380 hp.

Outside of an A body 8 3/4 or 8 1/4 what you find will need cut down. Though i know guys use the B body and run different offset. Look in the drivetrain section do a search your bound to find a ton of ideas. Yours is a 73 do you know if it is Small bolt pattern or Big? Since 8 3/4 were SBP.

8 1/4 is brobably fine if you have sg and don't use slicks. I foun good and cheap rear from dodge aspen, I think its j body or something. Widht was bit wider but it acually looks better than duster stock rear.

A 8&1/4 would be the simplest bolt in. Bolt in and go is not a guarantee though unless the seller knows it has been rebuilt, etc..

The 8.8 from a Ford will require a reasonable amount of work and expense just to get the bolt in accomplished. Those may not be 40+ years old and seen 200K + miles but 100K mile history is typical.
Rear brakes is the determining factor for some. They'll opt for the 8.8 for the gain of those rear disc brakes ( larger than stock wheels are required ).

My choice is the 8&1/4 mopar unit whether its rebuilt now or later.

thank you all for the information. I figured I would be into cutting one to size. I dont want disc brakes in back and Id like to keep the car with Chrysler parts. I would like to get an 8 3/4 rearend if I can. Ill keep everyone posted on my final decision.

If you don't mind a rear from a different brand, a Ford 8 inch from a early V-8 mustang is almost a bolt in. There are several different width 8 inch rears, so you will need to measur the width of the spring perches to be sure you get the right one. If you might be cutting a rear to fit, consider the 9 inch Ford. Much cheaper then any other rear when you figure the cost of other parts (initial cost, gears, bearings, limited slip units, etc)

If you don't want to cut it down or pay to have it cut down an 8 3/4 complete can be had for about 600 or so. You can also get a 9" in an A body width pretty reasonable.

Just an FYI a complete 8 3/4 from mosher goes for about 1100 without pumpkin.

If you don't want to cut it down or pay to have it cut down an 8 3/4 complete can be had for about 600 or so. You can also get a 9" in an A body width pretty reasonable.

Just an FYI a complete 8 3/4 from mosher goes for about 1100 without pumpkin.

I think the prices for an "A" 8 3/4 are crazy. That's why I suggested a 8 inch Ford. I picked up a 4:30 mini spool pumpkin, at a swap meet, for $200, and a complete drum to drum housing in a salvage yard for $100.

Parts for a 9 inch Ford are generally more readily available and less money then for a 8 3/4. Plus both Ford rear are LBP.
Now some folks would not put any thing but Mopar in a Mopar, so just offering sugestions.

I think the prices for an "A" 8 3/4 are crazy. That's why I suggested a 8 inch Ford. I picked up a 4:30 mini spool pumpkin, at a swap meet, for $200, and a complete drum to drum housing in a salvage yard for $100.

Parts for a 9 inch Ford are generally more readily available and less money then for a 8 3/4. Plus both Ford rear are LBP.
Now some folks would not put any thing but Mopar in a Mopar, :wack:so just offering sugestions.

Great price, so true and great choice.

I find it laughable that so many mopar guys won't run anything but mopar pieces in their cars. Not saying the ford 9" is better than an 8 3/4 but as you said it is cheaper and more reasily avaiable. I'm running a Ford Distributer in my 440 :thumblef: (as is anyone with an MSD)

I want the best, not just a pentastar.

-
Back