Rear End

-
A properly built(keyword properly) 8 3/4 will handle just about anything you put in front of it..dana's are NOT bulletproof seen more then a few "grenade" at the track:eek:ops:

But, if you're going to sink that kind of money into a rear end, why not sink it into a Dana?

I put together a dana back around 82-83 for my dart. Narrowed,Cooks axles,green bearings,new sure grip. Always have 13-14" wide slicks and a big block in the car. Oh yeah,4.88 richmond street gears. Have never had any problem with it. None. Zero. It will need new gears soon though. Cost me about $1500. back then.

Well, I say use an 8 1/4. Sure an 8 3/4 or D60 would be pretty sweet and it's unlikely that you'd ever 'splode it on accident but you DO NOT need that for a little 318. An 8 1/4 can be had for pretty cheap, will stand up to a 318 pretty well, and it'll bolt right in if you find an A Body unit (check the for sale ads here, they pop up sometimes). If you want disk brakes then try to get an 8 1/4 from a Cherokee. A sure grip and good gears should be easy to come by for an 8 1/4 too. You'll also get more power to the wheels with a smaller rear end because it takes less power to turn it.

I think for this build an 8 1/4 is the way to go. FWIW my 8 1/4 has racked up about 300k miles and has stood up to a 225, 318, and 340 with no issues at all.

8 1/4 will be fine. EZ to locate and lots of parts. Now slicks and "Hard" launches, different story. NO "neutral drops"! Who does that anymore? :burnout:MT

-
Back