Rear glass

-

Mopar Tim

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I just put rear glass back into my 66 Dart using the old gasket. What a job. Well it leaks a little and I just bought a new gasket from Steele. Question, who has done this, and what worked best? seal on car, then glass, or seal on glass and then car. When I put back in I put seal on car then glass, but when it came out, the seal was still on the glass. I thought for sure I was going to break the glass putting back in. Im hoping there is a better way. And what sealent you used. Thanks:burnout:MT

You need to use 3m bedding ang glazing compound on both the glass and body side. It's like liquid butyl and stays pliable. It's messy but the only way I know to get leak free. It comes in a caulk tube. http://3mcollision.com/3m-auto-bedding-and-glazing-compound-08509-1.html

Thanks for that. I am seeing most guys put seal on glass first. Then use a rope and a helper. I am doing this myself. I used RTV and thought I got it sealed good but one place has a small leak. already ruined my new package tray.

Yeah glass is a pain. I dont really mess with stationary glass anymore. Well worth the money to get a glass guy to my house IMHO. Takes them 45 minutes what takes me all afternoon and never a problem. For what ever reason, silicone doesn't like to stay adhered to window gaskets.

Well I had a glass company put in front glass, and they did not use sealent and it leaked like crazy. I dont know about using a glass company again.

Next time I see my glass guy imma give him a hug and tell him how much I love him! Lol. Im sure some of the younger guys doing it don't know what glazing compound is.

you are right. They were young guys. I was buying a new windshield from them so I was stuck with who they sent.

This is how I did it.
1. Seal the rubber to the car.
2. Put Vaseline in the track.
3. Heavy strong string in the track.
4. Put glass in and pull string.

I've only done it three or four times over many years but was always easy.

This is how I did it.
1. Seal the rubber to the car.
2. Put Vaseline in the track.
3. Heavy strong string in the track.
4. Put glass in and pull string.

I've only done it three or four times over many years but was always easy.
Thanks. :burnout:MT

i like to use soapy water so when it drys it creates a tacky surface, i also leave the rubber molding sitting in the sun for a couple hours so its more pliable when you install it. it also helps if the glass is a little warm too. if its cold it wont flex and is more likely to break upon install

i like to use soapy water so when it drys it creates a tacky surface, i also leave the rubber molding sitting in the sun for a couple hours so its more pliable when you install it. it also helps if the glass is a little warm too. if its cold it wont flex and is more likely to break upon install
Good advice. Thanks

Haven't done windshields, but I used butyl rubber many places on my trailer. It sticks better than silicone and stays flexible and gooey. You can clean it off with ethanol. I understand that is what is used on newer (since 1990's+) style "glue-on" windshields. For an installed windshield you are trying to seal leaks, there is a "flow-able silicone" at auto parts that works fairly well.

-
Back