Rear Main Bolt Interferes with oil pump Alignment

-

ssbowasso

Reaction score
I was getting reading to install an oil pump on my 340 small block build, and when I attempted to install the oil pump one of the main bolts point will not allow the oil pump to seat properly.
What do I do to resolve this issue????

Thanks.

If its main studs, you have to put a bolt in that location. If its a regular bolt, the pump might need some minor grinding for clearance.

It's been awhile, I had studs, believe that I shortened the stud, but had to have a machinist cut that side of the main cap down for the nut. There was a thread on this just a few days ago.

Use a machined arp bolt. The center three caps are the important positions. Here is a race block came with all studs except that one bolt.

block11.JPG

Not uncommon,this happens once in a while.
What bolts are you using?
ARP tells you to remove some material from pump or alliminate washer from that bolt,de pending on amount needed to fit.

Grind .030 off the oil pump and use a 12 point nut with the stud ground flush to the nut.
If it's a bolt... maybe you have the thing cack eyed.

He must be out to lunch. We still don't know if it's bolts or studs. My studs cocked the rear main and it grabbed the crankshaft. Quick call to Mike at B3, the main cap holes needed to be enlarged a hare, problem solved.

-
Back