Rear main seal questions

-

4spdragtop

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Can you change/replace rear main seal(2piece lip type) without having to remove crank?? Can we do it with just removing the rear main cap??This is on dads 66 273.

Thanks
4spdragtop and ragtops pop

yes....but the rear cap has to come off since the seal is in it...

Thanks! Just got to dads now so going to start digging into it.Looks like the new gasket kit has a couple of generic seals in it??

ok, maybe im wrong here, but it looks like the seal was in backwards....should the "tallest" part of the seal be towards the front or rear of the engine?? I would think front, but it was closest to the rear

The lip faces the oil. I think that means the "tallest" part is inward but it's been a little while...

yeah, lip towards the the inside of the engine.

when u do the new one...offset the seat the seal ends and dab each end with rtv...and make sure the seal lips are oiled.

run a small bead across each side of the cap register too.

Thanks everyone! Just got back from dads and heading out to work, I will post pics later. I hope we installed it right!!

Ok, here are some pics of how it went in. I noticed the old one had RTV on the back sides of both halves of the seal, so I did the same thing. Also oriented the seal in the block so it stuck up on one side approx 3/8" and down the same amt on the opposite side. Same with the bearing cap. We nipped the tits off on the cap side and then put them back in after seal was rotated. RTV on the ends of the seals as well as on the block. We had a couple books including the service manual to see what they had to say. "Lip facing inward", but the pics were shitty...maybe I am over thinking again....hopefully its in the right way. Cylinder head gaskets questions will be in another thread

Attachments

• DSCF6650 (Medium).jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 307
So...I am replacing the rear main seal on my 66 273 and noted with interest rotating the seals 3/8" in the block and main bearing cap. First time I've seen this......does this help insure a better seal against an oil leak?

So...I am replacing the rear main seal on my 66 273 and noted with interest rotating the seals 3/8" in the block and main bearing cap. First time I've seen this......does this help insure a better seal against an oil leak?

Yes it could help, otherwise you have better possibility for leaks due to bearing halves and seal halves being in exact same spot.
Think of it as laying flooring, you always stagger joints.

-
Back