Rear main seal replacement

-

318willrun

Utube channel 318willrun
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
A lot of discussion here lately on "IF" the crank needs to be loosened to replace the rear main seal. I made a short 2 minute video, I hope to help somebody.

Well that aught to shut some of the opinions with no actual experience up.
Now you need to make another one for how to snake a new rope seal in and pack it.:D
I also have a screwdriver with a modded end made just for those rear mains seals, and it works just as good on the rubber seals.

now, wait just one cotton pickin' minute...where did YOU get a 360 from?
:poke:

Problem is, they don't always come out that easy. I changed out the original rope seal in my old 273 and it came out one little rotten piece of fiber at a time. I just could not get all the little bits out. I wound up pulling the motor and loosening the mains so I could get the crank away from the block a little.

This would also be a good time to mention, when going from rope to rubber, don't forget to knock the pin out of the cap.

now, wait just one cotton pickin' minute...where did YOU get a 360 from?
:poke:
LOL.... folks get me a little confused when they see my avatar name......
believe you me, I've owned all the small blocks... :D

Last edited:
Did someone think it couldn't be done? I believe you can get a split seal in fairly easily, and use a tool called a "sneaky pete" to do the rope seals.

Did someone think it couldn't be done? I believe you can get a split seal in fairly easily, and use a tool called a "sneaky pete" to do the rope seals.

there was some questioning to if it could be done. Thought because I as in the middle of a project at the moment, I'd just show it. Thanks for sharing "sneaky pete". I've never actually bought it, but I'm sure it would be handy.

-
Back