Rear Shackle Mounts

-

chivic55

Reaction score
I just bought a 66 Barracuda and it needs all the suspension replaced. On the front of the rear shackles there are nuts, are those studs, because the other side looks to be round? Also I’m assuming you have to take the mounting brackets off to get the shackles off. Leave it to Chrysler
Thanks for any help. I thought I would include a picture too.

79DB0FF3-8A10-4062-908A-C5CE05C3F366.jpeg

Yes, pressed in studs...
1969dartcleanupweek17 041.JPG

And yes the factory assembled them bolt head on the inside... just in case someone forgot the nut I guess, or so the bolt can't fall out.

****** HEAT THEM WITH A TORCH*** or there's a good chance they'll snap off on you! Even then, there's a good chance! I always press in new studs.
1969dartcleanupweek11 110.JPG

Last edited:
Yes, pressed in studs...
View attachment 1716158111

And yes the factory assembled them bolt head on the inside... just in case someone forgot the nut I guess, or so the bolt can't fall out.

****** HEAT THEM WITH A TORCH*** or there's a good chance they'll snap off on you! Even then, there's a good chance! I always press in new studs.
View attachment 1716158112
Thanks a lot. I got them out today but my bushings are the wrong size. I bought them for a 66. The bushings I ordered are 1 1/2,mine are 2” in the front. Someone must have changed the springs I guess. Would the shackle bushings be the same? I’m not sure what to do.

Thanks a lot. I got them out today but my bushings are the wrong size. I bought them for a 66. The bushings I ordered are 1 1/2,mine are 2” in the front. Someone must have changed the springs I guess. Would the shackle bushings be the same? I’m not sure what to do.

Remember the Yellow Pages phrase: "Let your fingers do the walking"?

I recently had a set of leafs rebuilt for a '71 VG Valiant (an Aussie car) by a local spring/suspension shop, and I ran into the same issue (different size bushings and bolts than what was "supposed to be there"). Turns out they had all of the bushings I needed in-stock, and with the exact same part numbers as what you find online.

If you find a good shop, they'll have what you need, as there really aren't that many different bushings out there.

-
Back