Rear shock mounting hardware

-

Duster_71

Reaction score
Ok, I'm trying to mount a set of Gabriel 43181 shocks on the back of my 74 Duster to replace the set that was on it when I baught the car. I ordered the new set and found that the previous owner had removed the metal/rubber eye ring and replaced with just a rubber bushing. I'm trying to keep the ring/bushing sleeve but they will not fit on the mounting current mounting studs upper or lower. Mounting studs are not original size. Does anyone have some actionable advise? I would like to keep using these shocks because I like the stance it gives.

The mounting part (the most upper and lower part of the shocks) of your new set of rear shocks should just install on the existing mounting studs on your Duster, unless there may have been some sort of suspension alteration done on the vehicle.

Those are truck shocks and the only way they will fit is to remove the sleeve PS if you need the coil springs for ride height you have other problems

Those are truck shocks and the only way they will fit is to remove the sleeve PS if you need the coil springs for ride height you have other problems
Don't need them for ride height. Used just like air-shocks with out the air. Just looking for mounting options. The original mount hardware was replaced before I purchased car.

The mounting part (the most upper and lower part of the shocks) of your new set of rear shocks should just install on the existing mounting studs on your Duster, unless there may have been some sort of suspension alteration done on the vehicle.
Yep, previous owners replaced original mounting studs, upper and lower. Now looking for other options.

Is the car modified so that you cant put the original studs back in through the trunk, and get a new spring mounting plate for the axle?
Or take the existing studs to a machine shop & have them turned down to original size?

Is the car modified so that you cant put the original studs back in through the trunk, and get a new spring mounting plate for the axle?
Or take the existing studs to a machine shop & have them turned down to original size?
RogerRamRod,

Well I would like to use the shocks I have and I do not think they will work with original hardware, not sure. Additionally, I do not believe they are repop the upper studs yet. Do you by chance know the dimensions of the original upper/lower mounting studs?

I wouldn’t worry about re-pop, there are plenty of parts sellers on here. Hell, post an ad in the want section here, get somebody to bring them to Carlisle, and you save on shipping.
Not sure exactly which dimension you are looking for, and I can’t get micrometer accurate but here goes using open end wrenches. Not sure where my lower spring plate is right now, but as far as the upper mount,
The part that passes through into the trunk is 5/8 diameter & just under 2-7/8 long. The part the shock mounts to is 11/16 X 2-3/16, and the stud is 5.25” long overall. The smallest I can crank the shock mounting point down to, is 2” wide, Yet the top of the shocks I have is only 1.5 inches. Thanks for getting me to look at this, Though, I think I will be OK.
8C9AF5E7-9BE8-45E7-8772-6EADC50F694A.jpeg

I was a little confused, I thought the Gabriel shocks you ordered were specifically for a duster, and that the mounting points were changed for something else by the PO., Re-reading the thread, I see you are dealing with a couple different issues.

Last edited:
-
Back