Rear side glass goes up and down hard.Cure?

-

68383GTS

Reaction score
I have a 68 Barracuda and the drivers side rear side glass goes up and down kind of hard.And the passenger side will only go up and down a few inches.What is the best cure to fix this issue?Is there somewhere on the track or window mech. that needs greased?

Thanks,Jim

Pretty hard to troubleshoot without looking at the hardware, but when I've had that in the past, it was one of two things. Yours might be different.

If the fuzzy channel is worn, the window can jam at an angle. Sometimes it can be resolved with an adjustment, but it usually means replacing the channel. Raise the window as far up as possible, then back off the handle enough to remove the load. Grab the window on both sides and see if you can raise it a small amount that way, then repeat. If that's the case, it's probably the channel.

I have also had worn gears that jam, but more often it's ancient lubricant that has turned into a gummy, and sometimes almost dry material. A thorough cleaning to remove the old material and fresh lubricant can fix that problem unless the gears are shot.

When I first got my Dart, all the windows were tough. I pulled all the panels to access the tracks and mechanisms and lubed everything really good. Now they all work smooth!

I had to revamp mine. There were a number of problems. The old grease had caked in the tracks and was hard. I had broken rollers. The crank/gear mechanism had just enough corrosion to add additional resistance. I cleaned and lubed with white lithium grease, replaced the broken rollers and installed new window fuzzies.

Happend with mine too. Don't force it or you will bend the regulator arms (if they aren't bent already).

You need to get in there. Clean and lube everything. Working on the 1/4 glass regulator of a fastback Barracuda is one of the worst jobs ever.

Mine were totally frozen. I removed the panels and sprayed some nut buster and after 2 days they were great. So thankful for those who have had these problems and found solution's. Before me.

I'd start with some good ole WD-40 and gently nudge it to see if things break free. Don't take it apart unless absolutely necessary cause it's tough to get it right.

What would the better grease be to use? White Lithium I would think would get dry so wouldnt you want something like Axle grease?

Ok I found the passenger side regulator was bent.I think the previous owner tried to force the window down.The drivers side I sprayed the regulator and the track with carb cleaner to clean everything.Then sprayed it all with WD40.Then I greased the track and rollers with axle grease.Now the window goes up and down like it should.

I need to work on mine too.
I've cleaned and lubed everything but I have broken / missing rollers.

I ordered a couple a long time ago, went to put them on and they were the wrong ones.

I'd really like mine to work, right now you have to lift up on the window and crank at the same time. sucks

-
Back