Rear spring relocation kit location

-

tooslow

Reaction score
Has anyone relocated the spring perches inside the frame rails vs cutting the rails.
I guy that has more mopars than anyone I know told to do this
thoughts welcome

Only if you're not going to be running the stock fuel tank, and would most likely also interfere with the spare tire well... and also eliminating what little room there is for the exhaust if you want it full-length. At that point you may as well just back half the car, at least with an A body.

Last edited:
whole point of the kit is to move them in for wider tires. moving the springs inside the rail gains nothing since the rail is still in the way. also loses some stability since the springs are so far inboard. even with them under the rails I noticed a difference in body roll.

Obviously relocating the rear springs is not for stability or even really street driving.
A drag race modification where you are going straight.
Is this for looks or is it a dedicated track car ?
Race type mods rarely work well in street driving.

I moved my in for tire clearance. I do drive mine down the track and on the street with S/S springs. Now its not a road race car, but it will handle ok on the street.

I think you saying to leave the sides of the frame rails alone. I don't think the spring will fit as it is wider than the frame rails. You can leave one side of the original frame rail in place and cut the others side out to accommodate the spring relocation kit. I did this on my 65 Barracuda for tire clearance. I'm running 275's in the stock wheel well but moves the springs in.

Like this.
Springrelocation1.jpg

Does not affect fuel tank, and dont notice much difference on handling, but hard to put tailpipes on, sure makes for a large tire and foot print!

I would love to know how this mod makes for a bigger tire than putting the springs inside the frame rails, when the frame rails ARE the limiting factor.

@RustyRatRod
On a 64 to 66 Barracuda the wheel wells are larger and the limiting factor is tire contact with the spring rather than the the inside of the wheel well or the frame rails. By moving the spring over just over an inch you get the full use of the wheel well. However to move the spring over an inch means you have to move the spring into the frame rails. I'm running a 275 tire in the stock wheel well with my springs moved over. It does take a lot of work to gain that 1" of extra clearance though.
I'm not sure why they would make the wheel wells so big you can take advantage of it.

-
Back