Rear springs

-

MoparBrit

HillingdonDart
Reaction score
Just relating a story in case someone else finds it of use.

Just finished putting a pair of new leaf springs on the '71 Dart. Searched around and finally bought a set from springking0001 on eBay. The usual caveat here: I'm not connected in any way to springking0001 so make your own mind up on if you want to purchase from them. Anyway, I contacted direct and asked for something that would give me a few inches of lift compared to the stock rear springs. Suggestion was to use the heavier 6 leaf '73-'76 spring as it was designed to give an extra 2-3 inches of lift according to the guy. Part no. was 33-909 if I remember correctly. Seller is a spring company up north. Anyway, has 513 feedback at 100 percent positive and the price was $214 delivered to my door for the pair (good or bad price don't know, but worked for me). I think buying direct is the way to go as I saw someone bid a set to around $190 plus $55 ship.

Seller did say that the front eye bolt is larger on the later springs so instead of drilling out the mount I found a '73 four door and got the front mounts off of it to use. Guess would have been easy enough to drill and buy bolts, but there you go.

Springs arrived quickly and I've just finished installing them. Came with front bushes installed. No real issues with install other than it did seem I had to push the rear end around to get the pin to pop into the plate. Other than that just bolted together simple. Raised the rear quite a bit compared to the old saggy flat springs that were on it. Now instead of the rear wheel lip being level with the top of the rim the wheel lip is up around where the tread starts on the tyre.

I'll see about getting a picture when I can get the car on the road. Might be a bit higher than I like, but then like the way it looks from the back. Will probably give it a few months or so to see if it settles a bit and if not then I might flip the front spring brackets over. I've read where others have done that to drop the rear a bit. Don't know, might just end up keeping it like it is.

Anyway, I'm pleased with the service and I'm pleased with the product so far. Considering the local spring shop wanted close to that amount to re arch mine to where I wanted I don't feel too bad about the price.

Cheers

SH*T!! I just paid Just Suspension $499 for new HD springs...

You got a VERY good deal.

A set of half leafs from J.C. Whitney did the same for mine once (years ago).
About 2 inch improvement to the tired 4 leaf springs for less than 50 bucks.

Please post a picture MoparBrit as I'm interested to see! A couple of months ago I had to decide between the e-bay sold springs with extra lift or just the OEM XHD springs. I spent more for the XHD's but then am really happy with the stance it has w/o having to flip the hangers.

I'll see if I can get a picture tomorrow (sat) for you. Want to get it out on the street and get a good shot. Kind of hard to see where it is.

Cheers

I bought a set of 2" lifted springs from Espo's Springs & Things. I think I paid about $200 for them and picked them up at the spring swap meet at Englishtown, which is this weekend...

Car sits nice... plus with the .920 bars up front I can negotiate the mean streets of NYC without fear of ripping anything off the bottom.

cuda1-vi.jpg

Can you believe it used to look like this?

I just paid $290 to have new bushing installed in my springs...

I bought mine from Espo a few years ago. I ordered a 5 leaf set but 6's
were on the car. It took the sag out of the rear and has settled slightly since then. I think I paid around $200 for the kit with new u bolts etc.
Toolmanmike

I have a set of springs from Springking. I asked for 2" de-arch and got them way cheaper then the de-arched ones from anyone of the big suspension guys. I havent installed them yet, but sounds like you had a good experience from Springking, hope I do aswell. He does ship out fast for sure.

Okay, got some really poor pictures. Took the car out for a test and forgot the camera! Anyway, can tell it is higher in the back, but does not seem enough to feel like you are falling towards the windscreen. Drove well and the ride was not harsh. Drove over some fairly good bumps and was smooth. Nothing noticed that was out of the ordinary. Took care of a bit of the body roll we had too seems. Might be putting too much into the spring change, but there you go.

I did get some pictures of the car on the side of the house. Not the greatest, but hope they can show something at least. The side shot shows the level with 14 inch wheels. The more I look at it the car has a bit of a rake now, but is not what I would call the old "stink bug" look I remember from the 70's 80's, but then my memory isn't , oh, sorry what was I saying?

Anyway, hope this shows a bit at least.

DSCF1809.jpg

DSCF1813.jpg

-
Back