Rear springs

-

aa-1159

Reaction score
I want to lower the rear of my 73 duster 4 to 5 in I'm running a 275 60 15 inch tire with Mancini heavy duty springs any information will help

Holy crap 4-5" thats a bunch. you would be better off buying a new set of springs. I bought Afco springs, and i got the wrong arch, with same size tire. I ended up waiting 2 years, and the springs have not settled. I installed 1.5" lowering blocks and that got me to where i needed to be.

You sure you want to got that far? Seems like a lot for just a hd spring.

Any pics of how it sits now??

If it’s not jacked up like a 4x4 right now a 4-5” drop is huge.

The other thing is, a 275/60/15 is pretty much the biggest tire that will fit on a Duster with the stock spring location. So, depending on the backspace on your current set of wheels, a substantial drop might require new rims with a different backspace.

Pictures of how it sits right now would be a big help. If it just has XHD’s on it, I don’t think you’re going to lower it that much without some serious modifications. XHD’s usually only raise the back end an inch or so, at the most, above stock. Unless you have something else going on with your spring perches or rear axle.

Sit 3 in. above tire now, would like to drop it where tire is just in fender well

20180402_163009.jpg

20180402_163146.jpg

Yeah that's sitting up pretty high, that looks like SS spring type altitude.

I think your best bet would be a different set of springs. Otherwise you're looking at a pretty large block, which isn't the greatest deal. Or having the springs de-arched, but unless you have someplace local to do that it's gonna be a PITA anyway, and you'll still have springs back there that are probably too stiff.

What you need is some kind of zero arch spring. There are a few with that type of arch. Hotchkis springs have a zero arch, so do the Mopar Oval Track springs Mopar Performance Oval Track Leaf Springs P4529414. The only thing about the oval tracks is MP is making them in Mexico and the quality has been suspect in the past. I have a set for my Dart but I haven't run them yet. They look fine, but who knows.

I run a set of AFCO's on my Duster, they're a 120 lb spring just like the oval tracks, part # was 20231M. Unfortunately they're discontinued, something which happened at exactly the same time MP reissued the oval track springs. Might be a licensing thing, the oval tracks are pretty much identical to the AFCO's. Anyway, the AFCO's were US made. And I love them. My car now sits at about 25 3/4" to the rear wheel arch, with a 26.1" tall tire. It's a little hard to tell because of the angle but the top of tire is slightly below the wheel arch. It would be tough to hide the tops of the tires more than a little, just because of how high the wheel arch is.

img_4756-jpg-jpg-jpg-jpg-jpg-jpg.jpg

Had them long? Might settle some with a little time.
Spring Hangers | AR Engineering
This will drop you height 1"+.
Got these springs 2.5" higher than stock, put them on and they added at least 4 inches to the old ride height. With those hangers set on the upper hole and some drive time it's now sitting about right.

-
Back