rear suspension choices

-

Duster708

Reaction score
car is a 70 duster.. going to be a handling car ie roadrace autcross.... with some drag time.. car is underconstruction so i am open to any suspension... my question is wich rear suspension would be better for handling....
im debating between leaf springs or a 4 link

the ones that caught my intrest is reilies street lynx, and i also liked the road race leafs from firm feel...

to clear up ?'s on the front i am going to still use the torsion bars and will most likely use firm feel components (bars, a-arms, sway bars)

wich 1 would be better i want to use the 1.18 bars and match the spring rates for the rears

The street linx from RMS gets my vote. Here's my setup:

15wgp44.jpg

Also, contact Abodyjoe, he has the street linx rear in action. he loves it.

I'm anxious to see the replies to this thread as I've been wondering how the RMS Street Lynx rear would work in conjunction with an upgraded torsion bar front suspension on my '69 Dart. I'm looking for both straight-line and handling performance.
I like the way the Street Lynx both updates the suspension design and clears the stock wheelwells for max tire size without mini-tubbing.

I use the Hotchkis leafs, adjustable tubular sway bar, front spring hangers, and Bilstein shocks. Race and track proven setup. Designed from the start for handling. Same leafs they run on the E-Max Challenger that ran top 3 times in the Optima Challenge spotting the competition 200+ horsepower (Bad Penny, Stielow).

The front segment has two huge second leaf to keep the spring from wrapping up. Also has one leaf on top of the main spring to keep from. hopping under braking. They weighed less than my stock 340 springs.

Elana that has a blue 440 Challenger that she runs at the drags noticed that the car hooked better with the Hotchkis leafs over the Mopar Performance XHD replacement leaf. She iniatially thought all the handling suspension stuff was going to hinder her 1/4 mile drag performance a little. But it actually got a little better. -Probably due to the two thick and long under supporting leafs in the front segment.

Now the Hotchkis leafs aren't probably going to hook at the Dragstrip like MP Super Stock springs. But those purposely leave the rear of the car heigher on one side. The Super Stock springs are designed for the dragstrip, the Hotchkis springs are designed for the roadcourse, autocross, and street handling.

Attachments

• Hotchkis7_27_10TVSbuildSm37.JPG
    90.8 KB · Views: 501
  • Copy of PICT2072.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 486
  • Hotchkis11_22_10TVSBuildSm18.JPG
    144.9 KB · Views: 519
i've been told a three link is better for handling than a four link is this true? and what about an irs?

Too much generalization to just say, "3 link vs 4 link" But most full no compromise pavement race car are 4 link. Usually long upper and lower links with a panhard or watts link.

Not huge cornering returns for added expense. But there are other reasons to factor in the choice. Lot more coil spring rate selection and cheaper price per change, if you plan on changing your springs a lot. Way better for an air bag suspension to get that slammed look when parked. Not much more work/effort if you are doing large spring relocation anyway.

The Hotchkis G-Max Challenger ran top 3 in the Optima Challenge in Michigan. 1st in autocross and 3? in road course. The car spotted 200 plus horsepower to the other top cars (Bad Penny, Steilow car) and tons of $$$.

We converted to a 4 link to the circle track car I work on. Everthing else equal. Sealed crate motor class. Multi track championship car/team/drive. Immensely sorted, tested, maintained, documented car.

The car was not immediatly faster. It won some races over Leaf spring cars and it lost some races to leaf spring car. Well experianced driver said the 4 link was not as forgiving to drive at the leaf springs. After a season the 4 link was faster. The biggest reason was that a pit crew team of 5 guys can do all kinds or fine adjustments to tune the car in practice.

i like the idea of the leafs and sway bars bc they have already been proven to work with the mopars... i wanted to be sure on the suspension choice because any 4 link is quite costly and it will definetly change the geometry of the car.... that is y i dont want to go with the alterktion

Autox u think caltracs would help at all with those type of leafs? idk too much about them

i like the idea of the leafs and sway bars bc they have already been proven to work with the mopars... i wanted to be sure on the suspension choice because any 4 link is quite costly and it will definetly change the geometry of the car.... that is y i dont want to go with the alterktion

Autox u think caltracs would help at all with those type of leafs? idk too much about them

A good set of leaf spring designed for handling won't see much benefit from caltracs. That's what those big upper and lower support front segment leafs are for.

Caltracs are great when setup at the dragstrip. I bet these other aftermarket 4 links are better than leaves at the dragstrip too. Especially a car with slicks. It's all what your focus is and how you want to budget things.

ya ur right when it comes down to it most of it is budget. I think I am going to go with a firm feel set-up theyve been around for awhile

-
Back