Rear Suspension help. (tri. 4-link or Springs).

-

SRT_DSTRHOLC

Reaction score
Hey guys, Im currently building the car and all that is really left is paint and then it is time to put it back together. The question I had was that this car will be mostly a street car, but I will race it at the track when possible. I want to get everything out of the car as it will be a 410 stroker, hopefully at least 500hp flywheel and I want to go low 11s, maybe even crack 10s, but I want to know if I can do that with the current SS spring set up, which if i keep, I plan on flipping the hangers to lower, pinion snubber or if 4-link is the way to go. I will not buy the RMS setup, this will be just like Mad Darts. So any help or little nudge in the right direction will be great!

The least expensive is leaf springs and a set of CalTracs. A 4-link is pretty much for drag racing only and doesn't work well for a street car. 4-links are made to go straight, not to turn.

The least expensive is leaf springs and a set of CalTracs. A 4-link is pretty much for drag racing only and doesn't work well for a street car. 4-links are made to go straight, not to turn.
I think you might get ALOT of comments opposing this. :burnout: But do thanks for your opinion! Like i said anything I can get.

Maybe I will just run it as is and then decide later on if I REALLY want or need the 4-link to get to 10s

I think you might get ALOT of comments opposing this. :burnout: But do thanks for your opinion! Like i said anything I can get.

That's okay. I'm not an expert for sure, but I've spent the last year trying to figure out what to put in my car. I've talked to numerous vendors who build chassis's and they all said the same thing. 4-links are built to go straight and the car will suffer in performance when you're turning.

That's okay. I'm not an expert for sure, but I've spent the last year trying to figure out what to put in my car. I've talked to numerous vendors who build chassis's and they all said the same thing. 4-links are built to go straight and the car will suffer in performance when you're turning.

oh, when i search it, I see cornering, but idk! haha it is not a daily driver, but will be on the street so losing performance in coners is not a problem at all.

no matter what you decide it will be a compromise. either the street or the track is gonna suffer depending what you go with. just the way it is.

you woud...MR. RMS...haha but what is the purpose of your car anyways? just drive or track?

Well, Okay. Yes, I have both. The 70 Dart with all the bada$$ stuff (408 sb, 4spd trans, RMS stuff front and rear, Dana 60, all wheel disc, mini tubbed, frame connectors yada yada) That car was built for dual purpose. To be able to support an 11 sec run in the 1/4 mile, which it has the proper equipment to do so: (530 HP /520 TQ, the Dana 60, the 4:11 gears, the big 315's out back, frame connectors, and a compromised rear suspension setup: the triangulated 4 link.)

The other task I'd like it to do was curve a corner, which it also has the ability to do: (the RMS alterkion front end, the street linx rear, the powerful small block and so on) I didn't want the car to do just one thing, I wanted it to be a well rounded out vehicle to perform competitively well at everything it does. (which like Joe says, you have to compromise....somewhere)

I'm a 4 speed guy, I LOVE a manual trans, so that was a compromise at the drag strip, it'll slow ya down trying to row through gears. But im not trying to win money or get all the last bit out of it to try and touch the mid 10's. same for the triangulated rear suspension, a true 4 link car serves a drag car well. But I know I wanted to turn a corner, so I got something that had to do both tasks equally well...the finished product: A nicely rounded, registered, insured, STREET car. :)

However, to do that, it takes more time, more patients, definitely more money, than it does to make a car to do just ONE thing....

so ultimately, what do YOU want? What are you WILLING to compromise?

I would rather compromise the street then the track. I mean it is already being compromised by a 8-12 mpg stroker IF that. But Im going to stick with leafs, because I havent even seen what it can do when fully tuned with leafs. As of now i am just a forum racer, all talk. So i need to get it and see what I can actually do.

Yes keep everyone informed. The three link is a race setup thats forgiving for street use.
As always take and post photos

Your best bet is to run with what you have.JMO.You might need money for other weak points after making a few passes.You must know by now things appear to look good,but do they work?Only time will tell.:DYou need a starting point to work from.

your going straight 90% of the time.......... :smile:

If you are planning to do much racing AND want the adjustability, I'd go the 4-Link route (also if you have the $$). It all depends on what you want to do with the car. I want mine to run straight down the track and be able to cruise around town too. I also wanted a little more adjustability with ride height, etc. so a 4-link is going in. I will probably end up driving it on the street more than at the track. Around here, them curvy roads don't exist so having a corner carver means squat to me. Give me the straight line rocket with skinnies up front and fatties out back and don't put a turn in front of me. That may be a different situation for you where you live.

If you are planning to do much racing AND want the adjustability, I'd go the 4-Link route (also if you have the $$). It all depends on what you want to do with the car. I want mine to run straight down the track and be able to cruise around town too. I also wanted a little more adjustability with ride height, etc. so a 4-link is going in. I will probably end up driving it on the street more than at the track. Around here, them curvy roads don't exist so having a corner carver means squat to me. Give me the straight line rocket with skinnies up front and fatties out back and don't put a turn in front of me. That may be a different situation for you where you live.
yea. what he said. a straight line car would suit him good. there aint **** out in kansas. LOL

yea. what he said. a straight line car would suit him good. there aint **** out in kansas. LOL

You got that right! Should have seen my motorcycle tire. It looked like I did burnouts on it all the time because the center of the tire was so wore down and flat. The outside edges were like new! lol

You got that right! Should have seen my motorcycle tire. It looked like I did burnouts on it all the time because the center of the tire was so wore down and flat. The outside edges were like new! lol

yea, thats how it was out in texas when i was stationed there. i had my street bike, but could never wear out my chicken strips!! hahaha!

-
Back