Rear Whines

-

RPMagoo

Just An Old Motorhead
Reaction score
I have a 8", Posi, in My 64 Ford, Falcon, Sprint. -- It is a rebuilt rear, has been adjusted 2 times, and it whines, when running, steady, on the level. - It starts to whine around 55 MPH -- it goes away when coasting. -- Opinions, other than "Get a Mopar" -- :D -- ? -- Also, why not below 55 MPH ?

I have a 8", Posi, in My 64 Ford, Falcon, Sprint. -- It is a rebuilt rear, has been adjusted 2 times, and it whines, when running, steady, on the level. - It starts to whine around 55 MPH -- it goes away when coasting. -- Opinions, other than "Get a Mopar" -- :D -- ? -- Also, why not below 55 MPH ?

It's doing it below 55, it's simply not discernible to the human ear. You might try tightening the pinion nut, otherwise it is a product of incorrect pinion gear depth. The good news is, it is one of the simplest to change pinion depth on, having the shims under the pinion gear retaining plate, rather than under the pinion gear bearing, so there's no need to press the pinion gear off. You don't even have to remove the center chunk. Just drop the drive shaft and remove the 5 bolts that hold the pinion gear retaining plate and remove the pinion gear as a sub assembly, change the shims and put it back together. I used to know "which way" to tell you to go with the shims based on whine on accel or decel, but I have forgotten. Maybe one of these other guys will know.

That said, "I" would still drop the whole center chunk to get the pattern correct. Also too, keep in mind that if it has been like this a long time, there may be no amount of changes that will fix it.

Don't forget the simple stuff. ANY metal-to-metal contact between the vehicle body and the rear axle/ springs can transmit noise, example might be a ruptured spring eye bushing, allowing the spring to contact the hanger, or exhaust system in contact with the axle.

Don't forget the simple stuff. ANY metal-to-metal contact between the vehicle body and the rear axle/ springs can transmit noise, example might be a ruptured spring eye bushing, allowing the spring to contact the hanger, or exhaust system in contact with the axle.

Yup. Even better advice ^^^^^^^. Never assume anything. Inspect everything first. You just never know.

Take the pinion out the front like Rusty says if it indeed comes out that way. I’m not sure if an 8 in does. I know a 9 in does. Then post a pick of the teeth. Kim

A lot of times a rearend that was in a car that was in a wreak will have a gear whine at the speed it was wreaked.

-- A lot of times a rearend that was in a car that was in a wreak will have a gear whine at the speed it was wreaked -- .
-- No wreck. I had the rear rebuilt. -- The R & P are new (Motive Gear) - not sure what else is new.

Last edited:
I was told that the R & P mesh in the middle. Possibly, this is a clue. -- I guess that I should pull it, and take it back to the Guy that rebuilt it, before it's too late, based on what Rusty said.

Get her fixed yet?

Can you drive it over to the rebuilder, take him for a ride and let him listen to the noise? Then you can pull it and he might have a better idea of what he needs to do to fix it.

-
Back