rearend alingment HELP!!!!!

-

65 bearascuda

Reaction score
ok im bilding a 65 barracuda bracket car.iv mini-tubed,spring relocated,etc.NOW i narrowed my dana 60 to 47 inches(PERFECT FIT IN THE WHEELWELLS). Heres my question? in doing a mock-up i have noticed the center of the housing is centered,BUT the pinion yoke is favored to thee drivers side 2" or better! will this be ok? or am i in trouble? ....................................IV been sick to my stomach since i noticed!even bad news will help! or any advice!thanks Andy

The housing is off set, did you narrow it yourself? Was it just the housing? or did you get axles narrowed already?
If someone else narrowed it they should know that it should be offset.
If you did it unfortunately you will have to get it redone at your cost. Sorry.

yes i did narrow it myself! when i say its off set! it means the yoke is not lined up with the tunnel (THE HUMP THAT CONNECTS THE FRONT TO THE REAR<WHERE THE DRIVE SHAFT AND TRANI RUN THREW!)it favors to the right! i have axles already cut! could i redo the housing, but reuse the axles(FLIPPED) or leave it alone and make an adjustment in the tunnel?or........? not to be stupid or cheap! but im learnin!

Maybe I'm not understanding this problem because I'm reading it and not standing in your shop lookin at it. It's okay for it to be off to one side a bit, the driveshaft shouldn't be a straight shot from the trans to the yoke, it needs a little bit of an angle to keep all 4 u joint caps turning. This is what I've always been told and have read but like I said maybe i'm not getting it just by reading it.

The pinion flange needs to be in line with the trans output shaft. Sounds like you got some more work ahead of you.

I am by no means an expert, but this is my take:

as long as the angle is not severe, it should work fine. I read that the angle should not exceed 3 degrees - so if it's within that limit, it should be no different if that 3deg is sideways or up and down. It's within the limits of the u-joint. One of the thing you need to look at is interference with the floor boards since it's not aligned w/ the tunnel. The rear obviously will travel up and down - make sure the pinion doesn't hit anything - not to mention the driveshaft must be clear of all things as well. Other than that, you shouldn't have a problem.

the pinion yoke should be offset to the right(passenger side of the car)the engine is also offset to the right from the factory.wiggsplitter and danmc77 are right on the money about not having a straight shot from the trans to the pinion.in chassis building books it states the importance of this offset and 3 degrees is the tolerance so you have some room for error.after fabricating pro class figure eight cars for several years I learned a lot about this.Here is a pic of my last pro car I built. this is a completely fabricated car except for the front clip as per class rules.

side #27 pro.JPG

my 65 barracuda looks just like the one in your profile!(BUT NOTA WAGON) same colors and all! any clue if that was factory!thanks for the help!ill take any more!..................at the bottom theres a link on drive shaft alignment! it started out well and knowledgible then they turned into arguing ***'s!

Oh well in this thread everybody agrees about this stuff but didn't realize you meant the wrong right side LoL for future reference say left side for driver side and right side for passenger side,if you were able to remove 2 more inches from the passenger side should put you in the ball park and maybe some diffrent wheels and tire to compensate.hope you can come up with a plan to get back on track......measure 38 kazillion times,cut once LoL sorry you had this happen,don't think we aint screwed up a few things.....we just ain't admitting to it [-( lol I have hiddin a few experiments from my younger days so dont worry about it,just narrow it some more to useable dimensions and hunt down some diffrent wheels. Good luck and let us know how you resolve this.heres some pic's for inspiration :toothy4:

wheelie bars.JPG

lilfish.JPG

Basically, you want the pass side tube on a Dana 60 to be 1 3/8" shorter than drivers side to get the pinion in the correct relative offset position.

If the car has a rear seat bottom you wouldn't even need a tape measure to see the offset. The hump isn't in the center and where it runs under the rear seat shows it. Atleast 3 degrees and no more than 7 degrees in drive line is recommended . It's about universal joint life and nothing more. For weight distribution a centered chunk might be better but wheelbase length would need to be very short.
I'd love to be there with a protractor and a string. To find it within tolerence just on the opposing side of center would make your day. :)
Good luck

I'm about to install an 8.8 Ford rearend under the wife's Duster and it's not gonna be perfectly centered in the tunnel, either. Like others have said, as long as it's not too far, out of line and nothing is interfering with rear suspension travel, you're golden!!

well iv done everything else on the whole project MYSELF!so i would learn(and that means the bad stuff too)howto!Cuz if im gona run this car a couple of years i better learn! done great on everything else!Im taken a break on the car for awhile, to get caught up on everything else!(WIFE SAID!) Ill getter straited out!I think i centered the rear end not compensating the tunnels over to the passenger side2" thats why my rearend YOKE, favors to the driver side 2"(acording to the tunnel).ILL update a.s.a.p with pictures too!ok now sst3193 why 8.8? cuz everyone that i have failed(CHEWEDUP PINONS) left and right! go 9 for my 2 cents worth! and WAGGIN what part of florida are you in? im there a lot!

When you narrowed the rear end did you cut equal amounts off each side, or did you cut the tubes to the same length? If you cut equal amounts off of each side, you're good. If you made them the same length, you may have issues...

-
Back