rearend fluid level question

-

trudysduster

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
something doesn't seem right here. I just replaced the axle bearings on the Duster. 8.75 rear. Had the car up on jackstands front and rear, level as I was under it checking it all out also. After I tightened the axles down, I pulled the plug on the side of the rearend and topped the fluid off till it started to run out of the plug. Put the plug back in and ran the car in drive a little while. went back under and pulled the plug again to make sure it was full. fluid ran out so I put plug back in and tightened it down. pulled the car out in the driveway. I knew I had the wrong brake drum on the right side but I needed to get the car out of the garage so I could bring the new compressor in and get it hooked up. I jacked the rear of the car back up just enough to clear the ground and get the tire off so I could take the brake drum with me to make sure I got the right one this time. I decided to pull one of the axles also and take it because I had an issue with the center hole diameter of the drum. Now the back of the car is back on jackstands just high enough to clear the ground with the tires, level and when I pulled the right axle back out, there was no fluid coming out of the axle housing. unless the rearend throws fluid into the axle tube when running and then drains out when stopped, something don't seem right to me. I think there should be some fluid in the tubes at all times. could someone tell me whats up here. do I need to jack up the front of the car and fill this so more fluid gets in the rearend or what.

Why would there be oil needed in the tubes?
The oil is to lube the differential gears, nothing else.
The axlebearings are lubed by grease.

Nothing wrong here.
Just change your opinion on what's right or wrong here. Problem solved :)

The tubes aren't filled with oil. The height of the fill level plug should show that.
A small amount of gear oil will run in the tubes though.

We've always filled it to the bottom of the plug hole.

ok, so the axle bearings are sealed and that will be enough to handle the lubrication. I am used to doing semi's where they are oiled with rearend oil. That make sense. Reason I asked and found a problem is that I had an oil leak back on the inside of the rear wheel. That is why I pulled the axles out to replace the gaskets. I noticed that the bearings were really worn. fluid level couldn't be touched with the finger in the plug hole. I just assumed that the axle bearings were oiled from the housing like on a semi. excue the brain fart. First time for replacing axle bearings. learned something new today.Thanks

If oil is seeping out the axle tubes then the inner oil seal is worn (or, more likely, there is a lot of bearingplay because of worn bearings or mis-adjusted axleplay)

Reason I asked and found a problem is that I had an oil leak back on the inside of the rear wheel. That is why I pulled the axles out to replace the gaskets. I noticed that the bearings were really worn. fluid level couldn't be touched with the finger in the plug hole.

Hey Bill, if the leak reappears, and it might, you will need to replace the axle seals in the inner tube, I would keep an eye on it.

well the bearings were shot and I replaced all the bearings, seals and the axle flange gaskets. Hopefully that will take care of the problem. Tyler has a small rumble in his car so I am going to get his in and check the bearings on his axle. I can imagine what those look like. Pulled that rearend out of a 67 Coronet that had been sitting. Had no intension on running it until it was gone through but as luck would have it, it has been running for a couple of years now and all over the tri- state. So I guess I need to look at it before my luck runs out. Thanks

yeah Ben, That is completely different than the one I have in the Duster. I have never dealt with one like that. I suppose that will come out like the Moser axle doesn't it. Remove the 5 bolts on the flange and smack it with da hammer.

-
Back