Rearend Rebuild, Need Help

-

cpthowdy1369

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have taken the 3.23 gears out of the 489 case and cleaned them all up, and replaced the bearings and races. I am trying to put this thing back together but I've got a problem. I am using the same yoke and pinion that I took out but now, I cant get them to go back together. I even tried to beat the pinion into the yoke with a hammer and a block of wood but it doesn't work, the pinion still only goes in so far then stops. Am I doing something wrong? Does the pinion only go into the yoke one way ? How do I get these two back together?

Hey guys, I have taken the 3.23 gears out of the 489 case and cleaned them all up, and replaced the bearings and races. I am trying to put this thing back together but I've got a problem. I am using the same yoke and pinion that I took out but now, I cant get them to go back together. I even tried to beat the pinion into the yoke with a hammer and a block of wood but it doesn't work, the pinion still only goes in so far then stops. Am I doing something wrong? Does the pinion only go into the yoke one way ? How do I get these two back together?

Wow,I don't know where to start with an answer. I'm not real sure I understand your question. But I can guess that you used a new crush sleeve in the rebuild? If so it must be crush to the proper preload. It take about 250 ft lbs to start to crush it and you must continue to zero clearance and then 25 inch lbs of preload. Am I on the right track to your problem? Or you can buy a solid spacer that uses shims to get the proper preload.

I appreciate the response but it doesn't reach the crush sleeve to crush it. O.K. I put the pinion into the case through the pinion/yoke hole then when I try to put the pinion through the yoke, it only goes in maybe about a quarter of an inch to a half an inch then I cant get the pinion any further into the yoke. There is barely enough room to put the pinion/yoke nut on without the washer. I still need like an inch left to even reach the crush sleeve. isn't the yoke just supposed to slip onto the pinion easily?

I appreciate the response but it doesn't reach the crush sleeve to crush it. O.K. I put the pinion into the case through the pinion/yoke hole then when I try to put the pinion through the yoke, it only goes in maybe about a quarter of an inch to a half an inch then I cant get the pinion any further into the yoke. There is barely enough room to put the pinion/yoke nut on without the washer. I still need like an inch left to even reach the crush sleeve. isn't the yoke just supposed to slip onto the pinion easily?

Sounds like you've got a bad spline tooth on either the pinion or the yoke, wouldn't take much. Also, and I've never seen this on a dodge pinion, make sure that the pinion hasn't got a master tooth that fits into a slot on the yoke. Basically if you look at all the teeth on the pinion spline you may notice one tooth is twice as wide as all the others. This is a real stretch but ya never know.

Terry

Is it a 10 spline or a 29 spline ? I've seen some 29 splines go on real hard.

I see you said you replaced the bearings. Are you able to get the front bearing in all the way? Reason I ask is I just did this on a 742 case and I had to press the front bearing on cause it was super tight fitting on the pinion. There was no way I could get the yoke on without pressing the front bearing on first.

Mine was a 10 spline and it had evenly spaced splines so it didn't matter which way it went on. If that was the case with yours you wouldn't even get it to start at all.

It's a 29 spline, I had a machine shop press the bearings on for me, so everything else is fine, it's just that the pinion and yoke wont fit back together.

Maybe they buggered it up a little when they pressed the bearing on. It's easy to do. Check it for knicks.

BTW: Did the yoke come off easy?

O.K., I got the pinion and the yoke together. When the case is sitting on the ground with the yoke on top, am I supposed to be able to lift on the yoke and pull the yoke and pinion up and down a tiny bit or is there supposed to be no movement in it exept for the rotating. When I pull up on the yoke, I can move the pinion up and down inside the case.

-
Back