Reasonable priced rockers suggestions

-

SgtLee511

Reaction score
Just reinstalled a new cam, and I was using my stock 1972 rockers since i got the car in 1984, needless to say they are caput, so thar being said I have installed a Hughes SEH2024AL-11 I need a set of reasonable set of roller rockers as an upgrade, Im looking for a reasonable priced set, Christmas is here and family comes first, so new suggestions and if there are any good used out there Id be willing to go that route
20171130_122302.jpg

Rockers aren't really the place to save money IMO. I use Harland sharp and I'm very happy with them.

300 to 400 for me, not a question about
IM GOING GO WITH A SET OF THE OLD ADJUSTABLE 273 ROCKERS, FOUND A FELLA On HERE WITH A SET, SO IM GOING TO NEED THE ADJUSTABLE PUSH RODS FOR THE HYDRAULIC LIFTERS, is that all ill need

So I need 16 of those screws? And do you have a suggestion on the pushrods? A member selling me the arms shafts and bolts

The Crane adjustment screws and lock-nuts are a good idea because the old OEM versions can back out. It will work, but I was always concerned about the fact that the 273 rockers aren't spot-faced for the locknuts for proper, flat seating.

FYI, the OEM ball/cup 273 pushrods are 7.5" for solid lifters. Using hydraulics, the measurement would be approx. 7.23" (Used on 1970 340-6 pack engines.). But it's best o measure for your application to compensate for any decking, milling, etc.

The Crane adjustment screws and lock-nuts are a good idea because the old OEM versions can back out. It will work, but I was always concerned about the fact that the 273 rockers aren't spot-faced for the locknuts for proper, flat seating.

FYI, the OEM ball/cup 273 pushrods are 7.5" for solid lifters. Using hydraulics, the measurement would be approx. 7.23" (Used on 1970 340-6 pack engines.). But it's best o measure for your application to compensate for any decking, milling, etc.
Thanks for the heads up

OP
Is this on a stock 8/1 engine? Maybe a 360? How do you find the take-off punch?
That's a nice torquey cam, I had a similar one. But on an 8/1 engine, the bottom might still be a lil lazy . The cure is more compression,a lot more. And generally that requires either pistons or machine work. The latter will require different length pushrods again. If you're thinking along those lines, then it might be cheaper.....in the long-run.... to get the adjustable pushrods, and then you are set. Plus, you can set your lifter preload anywhere you want.
Those 1110 springs will rev to 7000 with about 1/2 turn preload. Not that,that cam will make power up there,but sometimes it's just fun to go there.
To make the most of that cam, the Scr needs to be up near 9.8, but it may need premium gas when you stand on it; 9.6 should be safe. The difference in torque from idle to maybe 3000 will be phenomenal. And of course with more compression comes more power. Some say as much as 8% per point, in which case, on a 280 hp engine, 1.8 points could mean; 40 hp. Personally, I don't build engines, but I have heard that half that is easy so the 9.8 over 8/1 is worth between 20 and 40hp on a 280 hp 360.
So if you're already up there, or if you already have a TC close to 3000; then just put me on ignore.

And BTW, have you checked to see if your heads will accept the .506/.518 lift?

Last edited:
OP
OP
That's a nice torquey cam, I had a similar one. But on an 8/1 engine, the bottom might still be a lil lazy . The cure is more compression,a lot more. And generally that requires either pistons or machine work. The latter will require different length pushrods again. If you're thinking along those lines, then it might be cheaper.....in the long-run.... to get the adjustable pushrods, and then you are set. Plus, you can set your lifter preload anywhere you want.
Those 1110 springs will rev to 7000 with about 1/2 turn preload. Not that,that cam will make power up there,but sometimes it's just fun to go there.
To make the most of that cam, the Scr needs to be up near 9.8, but it may need premium gas when you stand on it; 9.6 should be safe. The difference in torque from idle to maybe 3000 will be phenomenal. And of course with more compression comes more power. Some say as much as 8% per point, in which case, on a 280 hp engine, 1.8 points could mean; 40 hp. Personally, I don't build engines, but I have heard that half that is easy so the 9.8 over 8/1 is worth between 20 and 40hp on a 280 hp 360.
So if you're already up there, or if you already have a TC close to 3000; then just put me on ignore.

Its a 10.5 to one balanced 340, she hasnt got alot of miles on her built in early ninetys garaged and not driven for many years, had a purple shaft previouly 484 , probably wont race her any. Im in my fiftys now. And a cop lol eddy air gap, 3000 stall, 800cfm eddy

OP

10.5 COMPRESSION 340 BALANCED 340 BUILT AND GARAGED SINCE THE EARLY 90'S, 3000 STALL, EDDY AIRGAP, 800CFM EDDY, WAS A MP 484 PURPLESHAFT, THEN CHANGED TO A COMP VERSION OF THE MP CAM, YES THIS MAY BE MORE CAM THAN I NEED, IVE BEEN BUILDING A ROADRUNNER 383 RESTORATION, I HAD TO STOP ON IT TO GET THIS CAR BACK TO THE SHOWS, SO MY MONEY IS IN SHORT SUPPLY, RIGHT NOW I NEED TO GET HER GOING, AND YES I HAVE SOME CONCERNS ABOUT THE CAM, BUT CANT CHANGE IT OUT AT THIS POINT. IVE HAD THIS CAR SINCE 1982, MY FIRST CAR LOVE OF MY LIFE, AND HAVE SOME CONCERNS ABOUT THE CAM, I DIDNT REALIZE WHAT I ORDERED, TOO BUSY BUILDING THE 383....HERE I AM...NEED TO MAKE IT WORK, BUT WONT BE REVING IT HIGH, 52 YEAR OLD COP.....

-
Back