Reassembly order of operations

-

thanson_mopar

Reaction score
getting ready to reassemble my rolling duster shell. When I took the car apart I wrote down detailed descriptions and took lots of pictures. Unfurtunately that was 6 years ago and during one of my moves the notes and pictures were lost.

What's the general order in which the car needs to be reassembled. I know the the dash needs to go in before the windshield.....that's about all I remember.

just looking for a general list, not ultra specific (heater box, dash, wiring, ect....)

Headliner first, wiper-motor and linkages,pedal assy,dash with speaker and vent grills pre-installed,dash wiring, dash ground,gauges,column.windshield.
all body wiring from fuse-box to rear bumper.
After that it's pretty straighforward.
Seats last,lol

Last edited:
I am in a similar situation, and this depends on how you are planning to paint the car. I see people who will assemble and align the body, to test fit panels and do body work. This is where you would prime and block sand etc. Then you would disassemble, and cut in the doors, fenders (underside/inside) , trunk, underside of hood/trunk lid. You would re assemble and align everything and paint the outside of the car at the same time. You could also paint the fenders, doors , hood, trunk lid while off the car, but at the same time. you want consistency with your paint and reducer mixing I am thinking. Then you would bolt on the doors, hood, and fenders because they all align off each other. the hood and fenders align off each other and the doors align off the rear of the fenders etc. the trunk lid is self explanatory. I think you could put the doors on before the fenders, but don't align them until you get the front clip straightened out. keep in mind I am no pro body guy, check out some restos on this forum. there is a member called Hemiorange swinger, his thread has a lot of pics and he has an order of operations down similar to what I described. As far as the dash, it goes in before the windshield, that's all you need to remember. be sure and rebuild the heater box if need be. Oh yeah and repair or replace dash wiring while you are there. Instrument cluster bulbs etc.

Last edited:
I do doors first to align to q-pnls/a-pillars, then the hood to back edge of cowl. I then hang the fenders since they generally have the most give for adjustments.

.....dash wiring, ............windshield...........

If you reverse the dash clips up by the windshield, and maybe diddle with the screw length, you can put the dash screws up from the bottom, and not have to deal with the windshield "next time"

-
Back