Reassembly

-

Hambony58

Reaction score
So I am moving from California to South Carolina I have a 65 dodge dart that is up on jackstands and has the left drivers side suspension disassembled. Can anybody give me order of reassembly? I am not going to put the custom parts on but need to get it back together drop it down on the ground and get it rolling so it can be transported. Any help would be appreciated I am not a great mechanic by any stretch of the imagination

I would do LCA and strut rod, torsion bar, UCA, spindle, then brakes and shock.

Wheel last, of course.

Wheel last, of course.

slide the torsion bar into the trans crossmember first, then do the above.
Yes the lower control arm and strut rod must be installed together then OK to loosely start nuts on both.
Then install torsion bar with LCA all the way down, don't worry to much about clocking since you're gonna remove everything before you drive it.
Don't tighten anything till torsion bar is "home" and clip is installed.
Best to do LCA last, after you're OK with ride height, but no need to torque anything since its coming apart anyway.

Last edited:
slide the torsion bar into the trans crossmember first, then do the above.
Yes the lower control arm and strut rod must be installed together then OK to loosely start nuts on both.
Then install torsion bar with LCA all the way down, don't worry to much about clocking since you're gonna remove everything before you drive it.
I just need to move the car into a car carrier is it necessary to reinstall the torsion bar? It might put a lot of pressure on the shock mount? Without it that is

Wheel last, of course.[/QUO

Definitely reinstall the torsion bar. How else are you gonna keep the car off the ground?

Haha, just trying the least amount of labor, is there a trick to ‘loading’ the T-bar?

Yes, you need the bar!
Not sure the tire would have enough clearance to steer or make it up the loading ramps.
Bars are much easier to install than they are to remove!!!
Just tighten the adjuster till car looks roughly level, side to side of course.
Not rocket science.

Yes, you need the bar!
Not sure the tire would have enough clearance to steer or make it up the loading ramps.
Bars are much easier to install than they are to remove!!!
Just tighten the adjuster till car looks roughly level, side to side of course.
Not rocket science.
Thanks boys!

OK there is a question boys, there seems to be no way to assemble this because of the lack of space maybe the torsion bar goes in further than I can tell? I have tapped on it with a mallet but it seems to be bottomed out. If you put the torsion bar onto the control arm then there is not enough space to get the bolt for the control arm into the frame and vice versa. Hambony58
F36FF7A7-571D-42F3-BA7B-4BCB3AD5D667.jpeg
14EBCB57-D374-49E8-96C5-9DC168CBCE38.jpeg

OK there is a question boys, there seems to be no way to assemble this because of the lack of space maybe the torsion bar goes in further than I can tell? I have tapped on it with a mallet but it seems to be bottomed out. If you put the torsion bar onto the control arm then there is not enough space to get the bolt for the control arm into the frame and vice versa. Hambony58View attachment 1715781330 View attachment 1715781331

You have to install the torsion bar after you install the LCA and strut rod.

The torsion bar installs dead last. Follow the instructions you were given instead of making up your own and you'll succeed.

Lower control arm and strut rod have to kind install "together". There is no way to get the strut rod in if you install everything like you have there. Assemble and install the control arm and strut rod as a unit, like was said. Install the strut rod into the control arm leaving the attaching bolt loose so you can move things around. Then install the control arm and strut rod as an assembly.

Well I guess you could leave out the strut rod if you didn't need to use the brakes to load or unload the car, but I wouldn't!

-
Back