Rebirth of Dustbull-with 408ci, efi, t56, dana 60

-
Take it from me. I got rear ended in june of 2010. GET YOURSELF A GOOD LAWYER. Everything gets taken care of through them. Less headaches. Financial compensation and the peace of mind knowing your not going up against these companies by yourself. Im sorry about all of this. I know how it feels.

Thanks everyone for the responses. And varlo, that is the best advice. As much as im not a fan of lawyers and being all sue-happy..im less of a fan of insurance companies who ask for more than theyll ever give out.

I took a look at a 71' Dodge Demon today, and shook hands on a deal with the owner...I should be going to pick it up, sign the title, and hand some money over on Friday!

DSC01565.jpg

DSC01566.jpg

DSC01580.jpg

DSC01574.jpg

Thanks everyone for the responses. And varlo, that is the best advice. As much as im not a fan of lawyers and being all sue-happy..im less of a fan of insurance companies who ask for more than theyll ever give out.

I took a look at a 71' Dodge Demon today, and shook hands on a deal with the owner...I should be going to pick it up, sign the title, and hand some money over on Friday!

looks like you have your work cut out, but I'm sure you already knew that from the last one you built

Haha yea, at least i know whats coming this time around...In some spots the demons in worse shape than the duster was, but overall its body's in better shape than the duster was (before resto). The subframe is good, just needs inner fender wells, trunk, and all 4 floor pans..but considering i would be cutting the front tunnel/floor pans for the 6 spd, the rear floor pans for subframe connectors, and the trunk for the fuel cell it makes the usual rust spots less of an issue/hassle. Im still waiting on a call from insurance saying when the adjuster is going to look at the duster.

you find a Demon that's a beautiful replacement, but don't lower your guard keep the legal process to the end and don't settle, for less than you really deserve, remember you don't ask for this, it was the incompetence and irresponsibility of a negligent driver, so you should get what you ask for your property and suffering!

exactly demon1515..thats why im leaving the legal issues up to my dad haha!
..We have a price in mind, if the insurance company will not reason with us (our number is WELL within reason) we will not hesitate to get a lawyer. But at this point the claims adjuster hasnt even seen the duster yet.

Well i got the demon home, and in the process blew the tranny in my Cummins Ram 3500-it was a parts truck for another project, i didnt trust the trans, but thought it had more life in it than that. Now im looking into a new trans for that so i can drive it while the demon is being built. While im up at school, my dad spent a few hours stripping the back half of the demon:

P1010020.jpg

P1010021.jpg

Its in better shape than the duster when we first got it, but still needs all the patch panels that it needed. Whenever i get a chance to go down home ill be working on the mini-tubbing and the sub-structure for the fuel cell.

Still no word on the duster however. My claim has been moved to total losses dept, but they are still looking into things, and should have an offer for me by thursday.

It looks like were gunna be in it for the long haul-After calling 5-8 times a day, and leaving voicemails every day, I finally got a hold of my rep. All they have to show for their two weeks of work are that my car has a six cylinder, three speed manual, a "high end stereo", aluminum alloy wheels, and recaro race seats. They assert they don't blindly pull up KBB figures, so I don't know how they assumed it was a /6 with a 3spd when they sent an "expert" to physically LOOK at my vehicle, I'm trying to keep calm but theyre a bunch of idiots. Just learn to count, look under the hood and count the exhaust ports or spark plugs. Look at the bright white shift ball that has a 6spd pattern on it, you dont even need to know anything about cars...Thank god I kept the receipts.*

How's the body holding out?
Do you have any more stiffness or headaches cropping up yet?
Guess you have to change your screen name to Demonbull next. lol

Haha..demonbull isn't as catchy sadly..maybe I should transfer from USF to Duke so the mascots match. I'm ok, headaches are less in magnitude, my back hurts a bit. I've been meaning to make a doctors appt but havnt yet, I'm still alive and nothings preventing me from working/studying haha.

I hope you got he contact info from that witness that noticed the tail lights never came on when that chick hit you! That will be the most important statement in court and proof of distracted driving. That and somehow getting phone records from Focus driver subpenaed. Good luck with everything and sorry to see something you worked so hard on go up in smoke because of some twit who has no business being behind the wheel.
I do like your new choice of ride very much though!!! :D

Trust me, if you are dealing with State Farm..... get a lawyer. They tried to cheap out on my dad's 73 Challenger 340 when one of their insurees T-boned him at an intersection. He wound up having it appraised and proved what work the car had done to it before they would pay up what it was really worth. It was worth it.
State Farm is great if they insure YOU.... and horrible if they reperesent the other guy.

And Geico sucks too. Kill every lizard you see! And beat up the caveman...

Alan

glad you got yourself a demon. I can give you any advice I can. If you have any questions just pm me and if i can help you out i will. But also one other thing i remembered that i wanted to tell you is: GET YOURSELF AN MRI! Sorry for the caps but it is important. the sooner the better. These are expensive and most insurance companies like to push them off till they absolutely have to pay but if you have your own insurance who covers it then do yourself a favor and go and get one. It will help you out tremendously. Also if you dont feel like yourself. Go to the hospital. Most insurance companies ask every time if you had to go to the hospital as a result of this injury from the MVA. That way it is on record. This will help you out greatly when it is time to be compensated. Unfortunately i thought i was fine. I gave it a couple of months then i got my MRI and found out i have bulged, and herniated discs, one disc is pinching a nerve root in my back and when i move sometimes in any certain way it will pinch and feel like im being stabbed with a butcher knife. So do yourself a favor and get this stuff done if you can. I know in todays world everyone is busy and stuff. But it will also help you. With diagnosis and proof/info to insurance companies.

holy crap dustbull, that was one hell of a hit! i am so sorry for you, what a mess. Glad your okay though! If you're like me though, its harder to see your pride and joy get hurt than yourself:( I wish you the absolute best in your future build! PM me if you ever want to sell anything my car needs alot lol regards, -Dan

I'm so bummed dustball.... totally sucked. I will be following this thread for sure. Not only will it be a great build but a very good lesson for all of us. I never want to have to go thru this myself. If you can keep us in the loop as to how this insurance/lawyer deal works out we will be that much father ahead if the worst happens to us...

Good luck and build yourself an even better ride!!!

Thanks everyone for the wishes, remarks, advice, and condolences. I will be keeping this thread as up to date on the insurance aspect hoping that if anyone ever needs it, my experiences will help them make the right move.

Heres the worst (body) rust that my dads uncovered on the demon so far- once again, nothing compared to what weve repaired haha:
DSC00998.jpg

DSC00999.jpg

Dang! Really sorry to see that, glad you are ok.

Just a note on lawyers, we ended up having to get on when my wife was hit and Grainger started giving us problems. In the end I wish we had gone to the lawyer in the beginning. He wasn't about suing anyone, but what he did was deal with the insurance in a way that we couldn't. He knew how to talk to them, and what they could and couldn't do. He had the knowledge we needed to fight for us. Just a thought.

Forgot to mention, I was talking to my Dad about this last night (he is an insurance adjuster, has been for 30 or 40 years) and he said you should be able to just turn it over to your insurance and let them chase the girls insurance. I guess if they wont fight for you, get a lawyer then, and then find another insurance company?

Just a thought.

the 1st time I have seen this thread, and I nearly threw up!!!! I absolutely loved your car!!!! I woulda got out of my car and beaten someone. I have had my nose broke and didnt know it until I was done making the perp pay, with there body! I woulda got out of my car like a bull in a china closet, the punk kid running his mouth woulda been the 2nd person beaten!!! I am totally against frivolous lawsuits, it is part of the problem with America today! However in a case like this some chick "textingand driving, or putting on makeup etc" Listen to these guys and hire the lawyer already! She should be in jail, at least spent the night! Texting and driving is illegal in many states now including mine...I wonder if the cop can legally check the phone on the scene? I am still sick to my stomach over your car, it was so tough looking!:banghead:

Thanks for the compliments, and advice guys. I'm about one step away from calling a lawyer. I figured more parties, with more hands involved would only make things worse, and the payout less-so much for my logic. It's been 4 business days and the insurance lady hasn't even called an appraiser. She was supposed to call me as well, but hasn't and never answers her phone. I know my claim isn't the only one she's dealing with, but really? She and the original claims adjuster are getting on my nerves more than anything.

Hey guys, just a small update for now-Its almost finals week for me, after that and fixing my truck ill be heading down with the duster in tow. My dads been working on the Demon a lot and has gotten everything from the rear wheel wells back stripped, welded, and he says ready for primer by sunday:

up to 1" bondo on lower quarters:
bondo.jpg

The rest of the trunk i will be making to fit my fuel cell out of flat sheet metal and a 1x1" square tubing framework.
DSC00006.jpg

DSC00012.jpg

Insurance wise-no real news. I called around complaining to whoever would listen to me and help me a week ago. I got someone to actually spend 10mins to calculate the max value they would offer me. That value is 2/3 of what our reciepts add up to, and thats BEFORE they deduct the dusters current 'salvage value'. It potentially could be enough to get everything back to normal, but i wont know until a third appraiser sees the duster to estimate its current value...but ive got time since my trucks broken-ive got their rental until we agree upon a value, and ive got finals in school on top of it (which i should be studying for now, but i keep extending my break...).

Well good news finally! State Farm finally got around to figuring the dusters current value for salvage and it came to..$800!! So that means the total compensation for the accident will be around $13000. The check should be at the local office tomorrow, and I will be picking up the duster after finals on thursday. Heres what my dads gotten done on the demon so far: The bottoms of the quarter panels by the front of the rear wheel wells need to be replaced-some of the dusters old sheetmetal will still live on...
DSC00011.jpg

DSC00012-1.jpg

Might want to opt of LED tail lights this time! That way if an A-hole hits you, they can never say they didn't see you.

Looking good. Glad to see you are getting a sizeable amount for the accident. Glad you are rebounding well.

-
Back