Rebuilding my 700hp 408

-
I have Eddy RPM heads lightly ported and run 11.8:1 compression. I do run a hydraulic roller lifter and rocker set up, though. Still waiting to hear about how the twin turbo turned out, Mad Dart!

I have Eddy RPM heads lightly ported and run 11.8:1 compression. I do run a hydraulic roller lifter and rocker set up, though. Still waiting to hear about how the twin turbo turned out, Mad Dart!

I am off the TT Kick as of now. That car will be listed for sale in about 2 Days. Everything I have for it will go with it. It is minus a motor/trans and is at the paint stage. 9" Ford with Triangulated 4 link, Coil over conversion in the front. 14pt cage etc, all the turbo headers, cold and hot side complete, Intercoolers, Heat Exchanger, Radiator, EFI Computer, wiring harness, Intake, Injectors, Coils, Crank Trigger etc etc etc. $8500.00 Firm, I will not take any less!

I have a pretty stoutly built 408 and have 500 hp. What did to do that pushed yours as high as 700? When I refresh mine I want to boost it up as much as I can.

Power is the right combination of heads, cam, compression. There are ALOT more factors but these three make a huge difference. What kind of heads do you have now? Cam? Compression? Making more power has a trade off with drivability and what kind of gas your going to use. I call my car a street car, but it is really nothing more than a race car with a license plate. Street able is reality to the person who driving it.

So here it is ready to be stabbed. A little Small block dodge **** for ya. At the bottom is the race that I am doing on the 23rd. It is a good warm up for the season finals at Bakersfield this September 6&7.

Attachments

• DSC00276.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 1,249
  • DSC00277.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 1,201
  • DSC00278.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 1,188
  • DSC00279.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 1,157
  • MRM-Aug23.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 1,138
So here it is ready to be stabbed. A little Small block dodge **** for ya. At the bottom is the race that I am doing on the 23rd. It is a good warm up for the season finals at Bakersfield this September 6&7.

Looks great!!

I'll be at that event as well. I am good friends with Aram "The Grouch" Kazarian, Pete Johnson & Jerry Barnett. Those guys live out at Barona. I'll introduce myself to you when I find where your camped.

Looks great!!

I'll be at that event as well. I am good friends with Aram "The Grouch" Kazarian, Pete Johnson & Jerry Barnett. Those guys live out at Barona. I'll introduce myself to you when I find where your camped.

Very nice. Come on by I will have a cold beer for ya.

"Small block dodge ****" lol :cheers:

So it is alive. Sounds alot less of an engine "less Brutal" and I hope it has slowed down just a bit. I have a video and will post on you tube with a link.

You mentioned that you had sprayed yours (top/bottom I am assuming). A guy way back posted that his cometics leaked untill he sprayed all 3 layers with CC. did you do that? (all 6 sides). Your thoughts please. Thank you for your time. RR

You mentioned that you had sprayed yours (top/bottom I am assuming). A guy way back posted that his cometics leaked untill he sprayed all 3 layers with CC. did you do that? (all 6 sides). Your thoughts please. Thank you for your time. RR

No I just sprayed the matting surfaces that touch metal. The biggest thing you need to do is clean them extra good. This is the part that most fail to do well and then yes they will leak if not 100% clean. I ran mine through the dishwasher three or four times before I clean them one last time, then spray them. What your trying to get rid of is the little bits of carbon that builds up on the inside combustion ring. Then the gaskets are pulled off the carbon falls in between the layers. I have friends that have used their same head gaskets after five freshen ups. Hope this helps you.

Yes that definitely helps & I was thinking of the initial installation, if I should spray all 6 sides. OK so on a new set should I seperate all 3 layers & clean/check for any shipping/assy line debris that might be there then spray only the top/bottom that will see the head/deck or am I being too OCD on the debris checking! Also do you have an idea on how much thinner they are compressed? I wouldn't think more than a couple of tho. If so I could mill till I get my mockup quench at .040" then assembled I would be just under that. first time with Cometics & I wanna get it right

Yes that definitely helps & I was thinking of the initial installation, if I should spray all 6 sides. OK so on a new set should I seperate all 3 layers & clean/check for any shipping/assy line debris that might be there then spray only the top/bottom that will see the head/deck or am I being too OCD on the debris checking! Also do you have an idea on how much thinner they are compressed? I wouldn't think more than a couple of tho. If so I could mill till I get my mockup quench at .040" then assembled I would be just under that. first time with Cometics & I wanna get it right

Just leave them in the bag till your ready to install. New ones need nothing at all the coating is already on there. The only reason to spray them is when that coating starts rubbing off, say, after a few take offs. The biggest thing is to get the surface of the block and head correct RA "Roughness Average". This is per their website. "A surface finish of 50 RA (roughness average) or finer, is recommended for a proper gasket seal. Anything rougher may conflict with the gasket design." This will make them leak before anything. There is no magic to make these head gaskets work. Just tell your machine shop what head gasket your running and all is well. Mine are 10 years old and still working just fine. Also they were right dead on at 0.040". When I did my mock up I left my head gaskets off, only put them on for final assembly.

http://www.cometic.com/technical.aspx

Here is some video of it running at bakersfield at Fomoso
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKeH2XDvzh0&list=UU8R6j_eu3nPH8e8T57xec7A"]1966 Dart at Fomoso - YouTube[/ame]

And this is an incar of the guy that I raced in a match race at Barona I will appear in the right window.
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kx4jZlPFmDw"]MRM 6 Supra vs Dart - YouTube[/ame]

But here is the funny thing we found. at a lift of 0.715" the flow number started to go the other direction or get less. not until 0.792" did it pick back up again. Crazy. I have a total lift now right around 0.700 or so lift so I should be fine.

Not good.im not an expert. But I think darin and other experts claim you may get more power from a flow curve thats raising steady up to chocke, than a port who is flowing more cfm, but turns at the top.
You have some turbulense somewhere in the turn/bowl. Remember your engine is pulling way more air than a flowbench is able to. Guess its a monster anyhow:) nice engine! Good luck the next ten years;-)

Not good.im not an expert. But I think darin and other experts claim you may get more power from a flow curve thats raising steady up to chocke, than a port who is flowing more cfm, but turns at the top.
You have some turbulense somewhere in the turn/bowl. Remember your engine is pulling way more air than a flowbench is able to. Guess its a monster anyhow:) nice engine! Good luck the next ten years;-)

I know where the problem is but it was way to much to fix at this time. I was trying to slightly slow it down and just do freshen up of it. I dont want to run in the nine second range, because of all the Cert's hassle. The Hassle is not so much from my local tracks but when I an racing in the NHRA Heritage classes. Ok so now back to the findings. The problem is in the valve job and the angle of the valve seat. These heads are what I call old tech from 2004, I call them Gen 1 indy 360-1's. When I get my R3 block this problem will be addressed and new valves will be used to correct this problem.

.....I dont want to run in the nine second range, because of all the Cert's hassle. The Hassle is not so much from my local tracks but when I an racing in the NHRA Heritage classes.

:D...whew! 700hp + Famoso + light early Dart didn't exactly equate to that "10" on the side window! carry on!

:D...whew! 700hp + Famoso + light early Dart didn't exactly equate to that "10" on the side window! carry on!

Well you know the drill. Over build it so you dont have to beat on it as hard. This car is what I call "dumbed down" or slowed down with a throttle stop and leaving at only 3000 off the trans brake. With all that it still rums 10.2's at 131mph. At 131mph I am at only 7,200 going thru the traps. I am changing the trans from a 727 to a 904 for the simple reason of a lower first gear. I know you could buy a low ratio 1st for 700 bucks. But for that money I could build a whole 904 sell my 727 and then build another 904 as a spare. The reason for this is most my races in the NHRA are bracket racing and they leave before me. I want that lower gear to get out in front then back into them at the lights. I don't know why I told you that maybe its the beer or the smoke talking, but there it is. :glasses7:

Lol! We played the 10-oh game for years with our W5 mill. :)

Yes! Signed up toward the end of December. Hopefully with a well behaved W8 mill, but the iron head 360 can always get swapped back in. Either way.... it's on!

Yes! Signed up toward the end of December. Hopefully with a well behaved W8 mill, but the iron head 360 can always get swapped back in. Either way.... it's on!

I will be in the Hotrod and D-Gas classes. My best friend is the six time D-gas champ Ed Carey and wants me in D-gas. I want to run all out but hate that damm 0.500 tree for hotrod. I will be running right at the 10.0's this time but going to bring the 750cfm carb just in case my setup goes in the Nines again.

I'll be running the hot rod class. Fresh combo, not much seat time.... It'll be a miracle if I make it to Sunday! I entered my dad in the March Meet in 12. He hauled his car down from SoDak and we went to Speedworld to test and scattered the W5 mill ( long ugly leaky W5 story). After some calls we ended up hauling my 80 Mirada over. It was a year too new, but like everybody said..... no one is going to know what the hell it is anyways! Went 9.93's on a string all weekend and went 5 rounds. Fun event. I hope when we get the Duster sorted out I can find a comfortable class to run at that event.

Just my two cents here but almost every guy I know who built a stroker small block, claims that the low 1st gear in the 904 is not required with a stroker motor. I believe guitar jones reported that his car ran the same et after getting rid of the low gear. Last summer I saw several stroker motor small blocks at my local track with severe traction problems while still using the low gear with the increase displacement.most of the faster cars in the low 9 second range with 500 inch motors are running a 2.28 1st gear to tame the launch because of excessive torque. Maybe put the 904 in for the et but not for the low gear.
Just a thought.

Duane

-
Back