Rebuilding power steering box

-

Rocket

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Has anyone reconditioned a power steering box? While I am reconditioning the front suspension with the engine out I was thinking of ensuring the seals were all reconditioned to ensure a leak free drive. Any suggestion on how to do this and where to get the parts? Any companies offer this service?

Thanks

Mine leaks like a sieve from a few places,I was gonna do the seals but after looking in the service manual,I decided it was worth it to buy a re-manned one just for the lack of hassle.$90 something and a $75 core charge from rockauto.com,but then I don't have a shop full of tools either.
Mine was sloppy anyway,if it was one seal I might have tried it.
I'd check the factory service manual before deciding.

Mine had a broken worm gear. I bought a replacement from Firm Feel. Very expensive, but has been perfect since the day I got it 5 years ago. Expensive because I have the 16:1 fast ratio steering. I wouldn't have it any other way. If you have manual steering and want a good feel with excellent handling, especially on the highway or going in a straight line, but tough parking, upgrade to a 16:1, you won't regret it (unless you park a lot).

I just removed my steering box Monday, and I am sure glad the motor was out to do it. If you have equipment available I would just pull it if you have to lift it to get the header out anyways.

Huh,
I posted that in a different thread. How did it end up here? How do I delete it?

-
Back