rebuilding steering column

-

Tadams

Tadams
Reaction score
Have never done this before so please help. 65 Barracuda. Need to remove and rebuild the shaft after painting. What should I order for the rebuild kit and is there anything special I should know before I start? Thanks

Should be a section in your FSM on how to rebuild it. Not to difficult I did one for my '85 Ram and I'll be doing one for my '68 Barracuda soon.

There isn't to much to replace, just a bearing at the bottom of the column and, the turn signal switch since your in there.

Have never done this before so please help. 65 Barracuda. Need to remove and rebuild the shaft after painting. What should I order for the rebuild kit and is there anything special I should know before I start? Thanks

I just finished rebuilding my 66 Barracuda steering column with floor shift transmission.
Turns out there is not much info in the factory service manual or what or how to do it.

If you are not going to replace the lower column seal/bearing, the job is considerably easier and less time consuming. However, almost certainly the lower column seal/bearing will need to be replaced on a 1965 vintage car.

Assuming you plan to replace the lower bearing, then you have (2) ways to remove the old bearing and replace it with a new one.

Method #1
Remove the shaft from the column, slide the new seal down to the bottom on the shaft and reinstall the shaft into the column. To do this, you have to remove the steering wheel, remove the screws holding the directional switch in place and slide it off the top of the shaft. (take care not to tug too hard on the wires as you do not need to completely remove the switch, just slide it over the top of the shaft and let it hang)

Remove the upper shaft bearing cover and the shaft can then be pulled up out of the column revealing the small roller bearing. Remove the snap ring and then the bearing. Removing the bearing should done with a puller to keep from damaging it. These bearings do go bad, so it might the best to replace it anyway.

The shaft can now be removed by pulling it down from bottom of the column.

Method #2 if replacing the lower column bearing. Disassemble the coupling located at the bottom of the shaft where it connects to the steering box. Inside the coupling are some small metal shoes, springs and grease. A pin is pressed into the shaft and that pin must be remove in order to slide the lower bearing off the shaft.

NOTE !!!! Mark the way the coupling comes off the shaft and replace the same way. The coupling can be replaced back on the shaft two different ways. Inadvertently reassembled the wrong way, and your steering wheel will be 180 degrees out of rotation. (like upside down man)

I have done this job using both #1 and #2 methods. I prefer method #1 because pressing the shaft pin out can damage it and the pin must be accurately centered when reinstalled. I do happen to have the Chrysler tool used to remove the upper bearing and a piece of 3/4" copper pipe fits perfectly over the shaft and on the shoulder of the bearing to reinstall it. So removing and replacing the upper bearing is easy for me.

Coupling rebuild kits are readily available, but some aftermarket ones are inferior in quality and fit. Wish I could offer information on the good ones and bad, but I can't. Original Mopar repair kits are the best, but a premium price to pay.

Take your time, be ready to get your fingers greasy and remember the order of reassembly and you will be fine.

If I'm not mistaken the earlier box coupling is different, larger. Most commonly available coupling rebuild kit doesn't fit. I don't know exactly what year these changed.

-
Back