Votes: 56 53.8%
  • Have it torn apart and re-assembled

Votes: 48 46.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
-

roadsterdude

Reaction score
I had a 340 rebuilt about 5 years ago and its been sitting under my parents carport.

I has not been started, so it has not been broken in..

What should I do? Should I have it torn down and put back together again?

Anyone know of a place in the Bay Area, CA. that can break in an engine outside of the car?

At the least if the cylinders were not filled with oil upon storage;check the bores for rust.Pull the heads and have a look. If it looks good throw it baack together and fire it up.

use one of those thin flexi lights (they are about the diameter of a coffee stirrer) and look in through the spark plug hole, if it looks OK squirt some oil in the cylinders and rotate it by hand, or better yet pull the heads and oil pan and have a good look. if everything checks out install it in the car, prime the oil pump and fire it up!

Im with the abv opinions, for what it costs for intake and head gaskets, pull the heads off and see whats going on. Hopefully she was filled with oil after the rebuild.

Mine sat for longer, but it was in an enclosed shop in a dry climate. Like others said, pop the heads and pan and look it over.

I would also go with the above suggestions. If you still need info on contacting a shop (in the Bay Area) with an engine dyno/break-in stand, PM me.

Doesn't cost a thing to try it. I'd check the cylinders like the others say, prime it, and fire it up.

Hi R.S.D, my rebuilt 340 has sat without running for 20 years, if one keeps a consistent regiment with priming the engine and turning the engine manually from the lower crank and squirting oil down the spark plug holes, then it doesn't matter how long it sits. The engine should be fine when it comes to finally running it. If you have not done any of these things I've mentioned in 5 years, you will need to investigate those areas the others have suggested. If you prime it and throw a little oil in the cylinders and are not able to turn it manually with some force then its probably seized.

I had a 340 rebuilt about 5 years ago and its been sitting under my parents carport.

I has not been started, so it has not been broken in..

What should I do? Should I have it torn down and put back together again?

Anyone know of a place in the Bay Area, CA. that can break an engine in outside of the car?

Talk to Baca's on Mission Rd. in SSF COLMA area.

I don't remember putting oil in it...so I'm sure its dry..

I came over to check it after work and the valve covers were not even bolted down. I was in the process of just painting it. I looked and there was a little bit of surface rust showing so It might not be too bad.. I will work on it this weekend and see if I can even turn it.

Thank You for all the suggestions..

Before you try to turn it, I would squirt some oil down the spark plug holes and run the oil pump for a while. You should hear the oil start making noise in the rocker area.

I would also go with the above suggestions. If you still need info on contacting a shop (in the Bay Area) with an engine dyno/break-in stand, PM me.

I pm'ed you to see if you can give me info of that shop in the bay area..

I'm coming out to the Bay area to pick up Ben's WSS Dart soon and it won't be
much of a diversion to take it off you're hands. Got cash. LOL

Man I gotta get out of the midwest. That thing would be rusted into bran flakes around here.

Tear it apart! My 273 was rebuilt just before I parked it 12 yrs ago. When I opened it up I found 1 frozen valve. Had I just started it, it would have been a big disaster.

wow the poll is almost dead even..
I will take some pictures this weekend when I work on getting the engine turned.

I Like Option 4 Better - I buy it for $500

-
Back