rebuilt 904 strange shift problems need help

-

Cuda1965

Reaction score
I have a 904 trans in my 65 Barracuda with strange shift issues. I purchased this 65 cuda from a guy that replaced the original 273 with a 390 Magnam crate motor, he had the orig 904 trans rebuilt. It has the floor mounted cable shifter. I have had this issue since I purchased the car. When the trans is in drive it shifts fine, kickdown linkage works, no issues, but if I try and manually shift the trans down from Drive into 2nd while driving it will not go down, feels like the cable linkage is binding, if I come to a stop, I can manually shift it down to 2nd or first no issue, no binding feel. If I then try and take off from a stop and manually shift the gears it shifts from 1st to 2nd no problem but when I try and shift into 3rd (drive) it will not shift into third it just hangs in 2nd, (once in a while when attempting this and playing with the shifter it will shift into third but this is rare and I cannot duplicate why it will do this) If I then come to a stop, put it in neutral and then back to drive it will shift fine through the gears automaticly again. I adjusted the kickdown linkage several times thinking this my be the issue but no change. I have even taken the car to a local trans shop, they did not really have an answer, they "suspected" it to be a valvebody problem and quoted me a price to remove the valvebody and send it out of state to be rebuilt. Hell, I can do do that! or I can put a shift kit in myself but I'm not even sure what the problem is. Sorry for the long explanation. Anyone have a clue???

..................Check the linkages at the trans, u may have the wrong levers on it or u may have to tweek them som to clear each other........kim......

Those factory cable shifters can be a problem sometimes. I'd lube the shifter and make sure the cable moves freely and then verify it's adjusted correctly before I started to disassemble the transmission.

-
Back