Rebuilt PS pump squealing!!!

-

mghikas

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I’m from downunder, got me a ‘rebuilt’ federal PS pump from the USA.
It’s squealing on and off at idle, system has been bled etc
Do you guys reckon it needs another rebuild?
Cheers

Is it like that 'power steering squeal' that you tend to get when you turn the steering wheel to the stops? If this is just at idle, then I'd suspect low pressure from the pump (like an otherwise good pump will do when you're a bit low low on fluid).

Got enough fluid in it? Add 1/2" or so and see what it does.

Are you certain there is nothing plugging a line? I have that on one once.

Are the pulleys in proper alignment? I had a Federal PS pump with a, replacement March Performance, pulley that was out of alignment by about 1/8" that squealed. The March Perf. pulley could not be pressed onto the pump any further.

I eventually found, and swapped, a correct pump/pulley with correct alignment and the squealing stopped.

Thanks guys, everything is aligned correctly as I used my original pulley.
I jacked the car up today and done a few more full locks to left and right and the squealing seemed to go away.
The only sound I can hear now is a very minimal whine, as if I had a blower on there, what could that be? I’m sure that sound wasn’t there before

Sounds like you finally got most of the air out. I hear pumps like that hum/whine a little if there is a bit of air trapped in the fluid (which goes away) or it is a bit low.

-
Back