Rec replace ball joints, cust declines repairs...

-

BarracudaBrian

Reaction score
I recently bought a 75 Swinger and the one maintenance record I found in the car was from 2010 Pep Boys recommending Ball Joints to which the previous owner declined the repair. Nothing out of the ordinary I thought until I crawled under the front to find a leaking gas line when I look over and what do I find?

No worries though right? Houdini nut and cotter pin oughta last a dozen more years easily right?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 479
And now the rest of the story ( from my experience inspired imagination )....
The owner thought he would save labor costs by doing himself. Part stores like grocery and drugs so must be for everyone. He didn't know forces of gravity down and torsion bar up were working against him. He went to a heck of a lot of trouble to fish the nut off the ball joint and later decided the pros must use dynamite to separate it from the lower arm. He did distort the threads on the ball joint stem so he can't put it back like he found it. Only the cotter pin was reinstalled.
The ball joints went back to the part store and the car went on the market. End of story

You could probably sue pep boys and get reech

I recently bought a 75 Swinger and the one maintenance record I found in the car was from 2010 Pep Boys recommending Ball Joints to which the previous owner declined the repair. Nothing out of the ordinary I thought until I crawled under the front to find a leaking gas line when I look over and what do I find?

No worries though right? Houdini nut and cotter pin oughta last a dozen more years easily right?

Wow!

Awwwwwwww no problemo. 'S'long as ya don't "get air" LMAO

More risk there than I'd ever take. They are locked in on a taper unless bumped just right.

I believe redfish has crystal ball powers !!! Lol !! Crazily I had the same vision!!
Well, at least as the exposure of superior engineering is proven again, placing
the loaded ball joint under compression is well, smart. Unlike the unlucky brand
X'ers in their grand victorias w/the wheels turned almost 90deg to the fender and
about 40deg neg. camber waiting on the rollback..........

So....
This passed state inspection from 2010 thru 2016 ???
If you really gotta sue someone it should be the former owner or the mechanic that put a sticker on the car.

:drinkers:

So....
This passed state inspection from 2010 thru 2016 ???
If you really gotta sue someone it should be the former owner or the mechanic that put a sticker on the car.

:drinkers:

I probably shouldn't type this but what the heck -- Why do so many people sound like Trump and want to sue someone must be the answer to every thing

I probably shouldn't type this but what the heck -- Why do so many people sound like Trump and want to sue someone must be the answer to every thing

state vehicle inspections here are a means for the state to make some revenue. most of them, they never check brakes or suspension. the old cars that run the "good for life" antique plates don't even require an inspection!!!!!! lol

I drive the car, I figure I better know if brakes and suspension is up to snuff.

no lube needed to get castle nut off for new ball joint, at least he didn't force nut back on bent threads, that would have been fun to get off, and good you found it .

-
Back