Recent screwed on parts threads disturbing

-

Oldschoolcuda

Early-A Body Nerd
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Seems like negative parts for sale transactions on this great site are becoming way to frequent. Personally i've yet to have a problem in over 75 buying/selling deals on FABO. What is most disturbing to me is not shipping a part that you have sold to a member that sent funds for the part plus shipping in a timely manner. After a couple of weeks regardless of your personal situation excuses just don't cut it. Anyways please mods get involved but is it time to tighten the rules again,maybe ask sellers to pay a nominal fee yearly for selling privledges to show seriousness. Lets get some input going. To quote Barney Fife " lets nip this in the bud" Thanks.

Oldschoolcuda

I have had nothing but great buying experiences here. My wife is in awe of how great everyone here is to me. more than once I have posted a part I need and it has been sent for shipping cost or free. Sorry to here this is happening.

X2 personally going through exactly what you have described. Just be honest, if you are not going to ship out the parts let me know. As I have stated before, I DO NOT enjoy calling anyone out on these matters and it should not need to happen especially here. I am willing to help out anyone if I am able to, even with cash if I have it. I just do not like to plan out something and think I have all the parts to do what I have intended to do and actually not have everything I need, especially when all the items are paid for in advance. Now it is another weekend and I still cannot complete my floor shifter project that should have been completed a week ago.

Perhaps restrict selling to gold members only.

I`m on another site (non-auto) and the way they operate is; the only people that can sell on the site must be contributors. That would be the equivalent of a gold member here. It`s a shame to mandate something like that but it keeps the e-commerce on that particular site relatively problem free.

maniac I was serious earlier about the road trip... I'm an easy going guy just like you, I'd give a stranger the shirt off my back.. But, theres 3 things ya don't mess with...

1: mess with my family...
2: mess with my friends...
3: mess with my car...

Hornet, it ain't worth the possible legal problems to do anything physical. If Roger was hurting for the money all he needed to do was let me know that and hell, I would have gave him the cash. I spend more than that on dining out. But it is what it is and nothing more can be done at this point. Hey I still may see the parts. I just do not think so at this point. And I feel bad for calling attention to this on these forums. But I felt I need to do this as a matter of principal. Even if i do not receive my parts at this point, I am searching for a shifter so I can do the column to floor swap out. It is just very discouraging especially here on a site as good as this one is that these things are happening. I agree that something needs to be done and like the idea of the Gold Member only status to post items for sale, but at the same time it is not fair to all the honest people who sell here on a daily basis.

Perhaps restrict selling to gold members only.

IMO, not a good idea. From a scammers perspective, in essence, you pay an entry fee so you get access to screw people over.

I've got a good rep and prefer to keep it that way. I try to keep buyers informed of what's going on, when payment arrives and when parts leave/tracking. I also try to help out with info, etc, that isn't related to sales. Being a member of the community,

I've given away countless, hundreds of dollars in parts to people for free or just pay shipping just because they asked in here. I guess I should just charge FMV and pay for a gold membership... slippery slope to me. I'd prefer to spread a little goodwill amongst the membership in the form of free parts, etc.

The kicker is, there are people that come here solely to pawn parts and don't provide anything else.

Where you draw the line on that is up to you.

I certainly hope anyone with outstanding parts issues gets them resolved. It sucks to be on the receiving end of those deals as I know all too well.

I think you should have to reach a certain post count before you can post in the for sale section. When I see someone who has 1 post and that one post is the one thing they are trying to sell, I definatly dont touch it and the more reliable sellers on here have a large chunk of posts though there is some on here that I know are trustworthy but only have like a few posts

It is disturbing what is happenig to some buyers here latley. I have purchased a few things from members, one did not go so well. Supposedly the Post Office was the cause, being a retired postal employee I kind of believe it. However, after part arrived back at sellers no offer of a refund of purchase price was offered. However, the others have been great. Dustermanianc communicated well, and shipped as soon as he could, Tony Fields went as far as dragging the parts with him on vacation for personal delivery and my deal with Averagerod went extremely smoothly. Does seem like some members just join to sell parts, but what are you going to do?

I have been waiting two months for some door handles, but I'm not going to whine about it. My experiences here overall are still WAY better than eBay or Flakeslist.

I myself have bought and sold at least 25 transactions without an issue. I hate to see anybody lose money for no good reason. Im interested in any ideas to improve this situation.

Back when I joined this site-- all I did was browse the ads section---- I now check out all new posts on a daily basis.(at least the ones that interest me)
I believe the current problems arise with the amount of traffic this site gets, plus the economic times we live in.

Just use caution & have communication with the other party--- this site is an excellent site with a group of like minded individuals---
Lawrence

Hornet, it ain't worth the possible legal problems to do anything physical.

I wasn't talking anything physical or legal problems.. You payed for a part, he can't ship it apparently, we go pick it up... 99.9% of the time I have no problem dealing with a person face to face...

Hornet, it ain't worth the possible legal problems to do anything physical.

I wasn't talking anything physical or legal problems.. You payed for a part, he can't ship it apparently, we go pick it up... 99.9% of the time I have no problem dealing with a person face to face...
If he really lives in Atlanta, I only live 30 minutes from there. As I said when this first started, If somebody gave me address, Id gladly go knock on his door and say "give me the parts you owe these fine people who paid for these parts and Ill deliver them myself" And I still gladly will, some greenhornet backup will gladly be welcome

Here is the latest P.M. I received about an hour ago.

Re: Shifter
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustermaniac
Roger,
Have you shipped the shifter to me today as you promised? Please update.

Tom, the shifter went out FedEx this morning, about 11 am I believe, I'll send the tracking info as soon as my girlfriend gets back with the car, stuffed it over the sunvisor and forgot it, but I swear it did ship!!

Roger

If he really lives in Atlanta, I only live 30 minutes from there. As I said when this first started, If somebody gave me address, Id gladly go knock on his door and say "give me the parts you owe these fine people who paid for these parts and Ill deliver them myself" And I still gladly will, some greenhornet backup will gladly be welcome

I do not have any contact info beyond these forums.

More rules isnt the answer. Thats what goverment does and it doesnt work. I would hate to miss out on parts just because someones not a gold member. I think it would severely limit what is available.Buyers should use postal money orders so they have recourse in the case of a deadbeat seller.

Yes Daredevil. 30 plus years of working for the government has etched that in my soul. The problem with Fed's /state/local gov. is instead of enforcing rules/laws already on books they create new ones. Just my opinon but advertising here is free and that is a great thing but also causes probs. with accountability. Maybe answer is just for members to post issues as they happen like it is currently occuring & let senior members help mods police site.

Oldschoolcuda

Either way it still does nothing to replace lost cash spent on "parts". I have posted an ad in the "wanted" section looking for a shifter.

I found this site years ago looking for a 4spd. console. Since then I`ve had many successful transactions with other members. I believe there is no sure-fire way to make the system operate at 100% customer satisfaction, however, honesty would be a good start.

IMO, not a good idea. From a scammers perspective, in essence, you pay an entry fee so you get access to screw people over.

I've got a good rep and prefer to keep it that way. I try to keep buyers informed of what's going on, when payment arrives and when parts leave/tracking. I also try to help out with info, etc, that isn't related to sales. Being a member of the community,

I've given away countless, hundreds of dollars in parts to people for free or just pay shipping just because they asked in here. I guess I should just charge FMV and pay for a gold membership... slippery slope to me. I'd prefer to spread a little goodwill amongst the membership in the form of free parts, etc.

The kicker is, there are people that come here solely to pawn parts and don't provide anything else.

Where you draw the line on that is up to you.

I certainly hope anyone with outstanding parts issues gets them resolved. It sucks to be on the receiving end of those deals as I know all too well.
x2,people can post alot,or pay an entry fee and still be dishonest.ive bought/sold/traded with several people here,all with good results.the reality is its the net....use caution.

My car has been built with about 30% of the parts from here a few from BBD and some from Moparts.

I am worried that it will become too much to deal with and we may lose our classifieds. Anyone here remember BBD when that went down? It was not fun, and i was getting most of my parts there at that time. It really made things hard.

It did lead me here however. It is tough though selling or buying apparently.

I have actually paid for most of my car build and most all of the others with the sales of Jeep parts. I mainly use a couple of forums and CL.

Many rules apply but the main two are as follows:

Communicate clearly and often
Follow the golden rule

ROB

I have seen many 1 post counts turn into great deals.

I have also seen low post counts scare people off, me included.

I recently signed onto a gun trader forum and on my very first post traded a big *** revolver for a crossbow to a total stranger but communication and wits was strong on both parties.
The site was cool because it had a feedback score counter above their user name where you click it and can see comments from previous people they traded or sold stuff to.

I talked to the guy on the phone which is a good thing to do on the more expensive deals.

But here it is good to deal with sellers/buyers that have a good reputation.

There should also be an agreement in writing that if you rip the other party off you allow them to hunt you down and beat you to a bloody pulp.

-
Back