Rechrome or Rebuy

-

Her1970

Reaction score
Debating on what to do with front and rear bumpers for 70 dart. Bumpers are in excellant condition so I am thinking I would like to have them rechromed. Or do I buy new? Trying to stay with all original parts? Advise and also where to send to rechrome around central IN?

You'd probably see around $750 to rechrome the 2 bumpers, but that'll be show quality triple chrome. Probably the way I'd go.

if you decide on getting them rechromed, then do yourself a favor and do some internet research on the company that you plan on doing the work.even the big names that show up at carlisle get horrible reviews. not all chrome plating is created equally!

Tri-city plating in Tenn. they did the bumpers on my current duster and did the ones on the previous one very professional work i believe it cost $255.00 per bumper and thats about 3 years ago....As far as the bumper boyz i never used them but have heard more horror to never use them..

One question I have is….. Does anyone even reproduce 70 bumpers?
If they did they would most likely be made in China. My experience with most reproduction chrome parts is that they pit and rust within two years without being polished and waxed regularly.

I just had three quotes in Northeast Ohio. This price is per bumper $400, $419 and $425.

The $419 will include correcting any imperfections as long as it is a usable core. The other two quotes would be more if dents and dings had to be removed.

I just had three quotes in Northeast Ohio. This price is per bumper $400, $419 and $425.

The $419 will include correcting any imperfections as long as it is a usable core. The other two quotes would be more if dents and dings had to be removed.

Buying new is sounding better and better...

Gotta remember the EPA drove the price up big-time because it's such a pollutive process.

AMD is listing them for $279. I saw one guy on Ebay selling them for $275.

At Carlisle I was quoted by Evans Plating in Western Pa. 6-700 to rechrome ONE bumper.

J just got mine back from the chromer. I had the same outfit that did my Comet do my Barracuda bumpers based on the work they did on the first car. They are still in the wrappers, I haven't even looked at them yet. I do know that I would never buy a repop if I could get the original nice but that is just me.
RAT:read2:

I used Tri-city as well. They have a life time guarantee as long as you own the car. AT the nats a couple of years ago while I was debating what to do a guy walked up and turned his rechromed bumpers in for new ones no questions asked. I asked the guy behind the counter if I could look at the ones he turned in and I couldn't see anything wrong with them. I went home took the worst set of bumpers I had kept my good ones and shipped them ups. Nothing fancy just taped the edges. I got a real nice set of Bumpers within three weeks. Someone probably has cores you can buy or pick them up in a bone yard.

I had my bumpers on the Dart done At the bumper exchange in Ft. Wayne In. for $ 375.00 a peice. If you like I could get the phone number for you.

Dan

I used Tri-city as well. They have a life time guarantee as long as you own the car. AT the nats a couple of years ago while I was debating what to do a guy walked up and turned his rechromed bumpers in for new ones no questions asked. I asked the guy behind the counter if I could look at the ones he turned in and I couldn't see anything wrong with them. I went home took the worst set of bumpers I had kept my good ones and shipped them ups. Nothing fancy just taped the edges. I got a real nice set of Bumpers within three weeks. Someone probably has cores you can buy or pick them up in a bone yard.

I used them also twice so far because of their service and the way the family stands behind their work.

Rechrome the old. You'll be happy you did, when the aftermarket crap costs you way more in frustration becaust the cheap **** doesn't fit right.

I just have had too many issues with cheap China made parts when I worked at a shop restoring cars.

Who's resurrecting all these year-old threads????????? The lady who started this one doesn't even show up anymore. LMAO

Who's resurrecting all these year-old threads????????? The lady who started this one doesn't even show up anymore. LMAO

That's okay. Always someone new looking for information on a project that's been done before. Just my opinion, but I appreciate seeing new feedback and suggestions on projects like this that require specialized services.

The bumbers on my 70 Dart are cherry, as in no major dents, and I know that they fit the car very nicely. If it were me, I'd have the ones I know that fit the car rechromed...Also, I heard the aftermarket bumbers are not as thick of a metal...?

DANGER!!! WARNING!!!!!! DO NOT DEAL WITH E BAY VENDOR CUDA MIKE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bought a "new" bumper off him for my Duster less than a month ago and after hand washing with a hose and sponge and drying car with a chamois cloth I have discovered a small chip in the corner of the bumper on the passenger side. Contacted this guy over a week ago and he sent me an e mail stating he would call me on Thursday, well it's now Saturday and still no call. I will never do business with this e bay vendor!!!!
You have been warned!!!!

-
Back