Rechroming Cragar SS wheels

-

Rocket

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if Cragar SS wheels can be rechromed? Any idea of what it would cost for 1 wheel? Trying to see if new or used is the way to go.

I recently had 2 bullet fender turn signals done, no pitting but the copper strike was bleeding thru. $80 for the pair so you do the math.

Maybe it was the company, but a friend had some emblems powdercoated chrome and they don't look like I thought they would. The emblems were shiney but the finish looked like an allow wheel. It had a dull look to it even though it was shiney. This is one of the largest companies in N.C. and a lot of nascar teams send stuff there. I had seen some coated wheels off of one race team up close and they look like chrome so I'm a little confused at this point as I was going to send some stuff there myself. Now I'm not sure.

yea they want your first born here 90$ each for two small gts seat emblems
you could buy a new set of wheels cheaper and not have to wait for them to be unhappy when they come back plus sell your four old ones for 100$ so you will be ahead to go that route

chubs ... with all due respect, punctuation can be your friend. :-D

Tadams, chrome powder -- and any other powder with a metallic base -- is not UV stable on its own. To keep it from oxidizing like real metal (because it has real metal in it), it has to be sealed with a clear powder coat. If it's not done right, the clear can leave a dull finish and take all the "pop" out of your chrome powder.

Here's what chrome powder coated rims should look like.

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb82/PhoenixSpecialtyCoatings/WORK%20SAMPLE%20PHOTOS/Before%20and%20After%20Photos/IM004262.jpg

Sorry Mark, my post was interrupted by a phone call and I had to cut it short.

The picture is old and was taken with a 2.3 megapixel camera with very little detail. My website has a bunch of work sample photos with better examples of it; any photo captioned with "Super Chrome" will be that same powder. I only used that photo because everyone can click on a photobucket link; dial up users may have to wait for my site to load.

You can get pretty decent results out of it but I'd never recommend using it on a part that is located visually close to real chrome (i.e., a real chrome bumper with powder coated chrome bumperettes). You can tell at a glance that it's not the same stuff.

I can tell you about it all day but my opinion isn't the one that matters. If Waggin, jtesno, roosduster, catsncudas, RogerK, and other past Super Chrome customers care to toss in an opinion about how it compares to chrome and polished aluminum for pntastar69's benefit, that would be very much appreciated.

To properly replate those wheels, they need to have the center cut out and plated separately. Then, welded back together. The aluminum centers take chrome differently than the steel outers. This is very cost prohibitive.

I have started with this procedure on my 13x6 Cragar S/S wheels. They are the early ones from 1964 with cast aluminium centers. First rim is at the chrome shop and today I will drop of the rest three wheels to cut out the centers.

Attachments

• 006.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 1,157
  • 001.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 1,007
  • 005.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 1,028
-
Back