Recommend a Welder

-
For me I sell these machines for a living and do my own welding the best thing I can suggest is to stay away from the noname brand as I call them.Buy yourself something that is good like the Miller 180 or 211 that has dual voltage and auto set.These are great little machines for the beginner and you won't be frustrated with something that doesn't work as well.Lastly what has been said already go the extra and purchase or lease a cylinder of argon co2 mix (very messy and extra work without gas) and you will be on your way to installing panels or welding up your buddys bumpers and hitches.Happy welding.Jeds67

I sell welders for a living. Don't buy that crap from harbor freight or tractor supply or northern tool. You won't find parts for them. For your needs you should go with a millermatic 140 or a Lincoln 140. There's a new esab machine out that is inexpensive and highly portable. I manage an Airgas branch in Georgia( full disclosure) and that's where I think you should go to ask questions. Tell them I sent you. The closest one to you is in Chula Vista at 3303 main street. There's another in El Cajon. Also, there's a difference between the Lincoln and Hobart welders that Lowes and home depot sell and the ones we sell at Airgas. Those are made with cheap plastic innards.

Also, you can rent or lease cylinders from Airgas. If you open an account there, its good at all locations in the US and Canada. When you're ready to move, simply turn the cylinder in and move. Pick up a full cylinder from another Airgas when you're ready.

I bought a Millermatic 211 and have used it on some "consealed" projects as my welding skills are sub par to say the least.... and I have not gotten a bottle yet, but that's on the list as some friends of mine have mentioned the same "issues" with using the flux core stuff.

i dont think you can go wrong with any big name brand welder . if your not going to be welding thick stuff you can go with the smaller ones, but if your going to invest in one, your better off buying one capable of welding thicker stuff then you really think you will be welding, because once you start, your going to end up making brackets, mounts, or repairs. Ive used miller, lincoln and a few others i dont remember, but lincoln is my choice, and the lincoln has i believe an sp300 that can use flux wire or gas, and 110 or 220 volt, and i put tons of hours welding with it and few problems and well worth the money.

I spent a little more than a lot of members would want to spend, I think it was around $1200.00 on sale plus the price of some accesories, and bought the Thermal Arc 211i. Its dual voltage 110 or 220volt as well as Mig & Stick & Tig so it should do every type of welding I need and hopefully will be the last welder I ever buy. I think the comparable Miller's and Lincoln's would be around the same price. So far its worked really well.

-
Back