Recommend me a converter for this 273 - 727 combo

-
Alright fellows. I got my tranny down now and the current converter did have the large register of 1.81", it was also a 12" converter.

One thing that came to mind looking at converters for a 727 on Summits web page, how do I know they come with the ring gear installed for the starter? Some have it on the pictures and some dont, the descriptions dont mention it. Will all converters fitting a 727 come with the ring gear installed?

Thanks for your valuable info! Now I know what to look for and where.

"Ifitsgotwheels", since you also have the 273, may I ask how much difference did the higher stall converter make for you?

I've got a relatively wild cam (551 lift). The convertor let's the motor flash to 3000 as if it I was slipping a clutch. I think it's well worth the money. Just remember a big convertor adds heat to the trans so you'd better get a good trans cooler

Alright fellows. I got my tranny down now and the current converter did have the large register of 1.81", it was also a 12" converter.

One thing that came to mind looking at converters for a 727 on Summits web page, how do I know they come with the ring gear installed for the starter? Some have it on the pictures and some dont, the descriptions dont mention it. Will all converters fitting a 727 come with the ring gear installed?

They all come with the ring gear installed. Summit's pics don't always match what your getting so never rely on them.

Old thread but I thought I'd write that I went with a 10", 3000 stall converter in the end. I also went with 3.55 gears. BIG change to drive it now, pulls way harder of the line and the little 273 now smokes the tires even from a rolling start. Also installed an oil cooler in series with the original one. Overall I'm very pleased with this setup.

What brand did you settle on?

It's a TCI Streetfighter. Found it through a Swedish add, a guy changed plans and went manual. So I saved a lot of shipping/customs costs. Seen here they dont have a very good reputation. Happy so for though!

It's a TCI Streetfighter. Found it through a Swedish add, a guy changed plans and went manual. So I saved a lot of shipping/customs costs. Seen here they dont have a very good reputation. Happy so for though!

What you figure ... 1000 more RPM over stock?

What you figure ... 1000 more RPM over stock?

Its hard to keep your eye on the tach when you floor it, but it's more then 1000 rpm over my old stock one. I think it's pretty close to 3000 once you hammer it, maybe a little more. I have to get a bit more used to it and report back.

-
Back