Recommendation for non wifi, recording security camera

-

Johnny Mac

www.blueprintengines.com
FABO Vendor
Reaction score
My father has about a 2400 foot driveway, and someone has made a game of throwing beer bottles in his driveway. Same brand every time, and always multiples. Clearly the same person every time. Bright yellow labels.

Very rural area.

Would love to find a security camera that was high resolution enough to catch a license plate, and see the bottles being tossed out the window. But obviously don't have wifi at the road.

Thoughts? / recommendations?

Thanks all!

My father has about a 2400 foot driveway, and someone has made a game of throwing beer bottles in his driveway. Same brand every time, and always multiples. Clearly the same person every time. Bright yellow labels.

Very rural area.

Would love to find a security camera that was high resolution enough to catch a license plate, and see the bottles being tossed out the window. But obviously don't have wifi at the road.

Thoughts? / recommendations?

Thanks all!

As much as I hate wifi for security cameras, this can be done in situations like this. Depends on how bad you want it. I have a friend who did this exact thing with a directional antennae. Is there a specific reason to avoid wifi?

Is there cell service? There are ways to build cellular links that will allow for an IP connection to remote locations.

If this happens around the same time or day, you could leave your phone out there one night with the local hotspot turned on
That would allow for a wifi enabled camera

Of course, i cant post the real solution on here, but it is a lot less modern (your a mechanic, I'm sure you got a 2 foot breaker bar kicking around)

Now, a rural area you say
To me, that means few secrets
How popular is this swill?

I cant think of any beer with a yellow label (but I haven't drank in almost a decade) but with a little investigation you might be able to figure out who it is

Now, one more thing to consider is this is wierd, a little too wierd to be random
So perhaps if your dad scratches his head real good he might he able to come up with someone who thinks he's done him wrong

I have installed Sec Cams for a retired LEO. We had to use a booster to get the WiFi to the units. And that takes 120/110v....

I have installed Sec Cams for a retired LEO. We had to use a booster to get the WiFi to the units. And that takes 120/110v....

A booster is not always required for this. A friend installed a camera on one end of a 40 acre property which the wifi router on the other end. Cameras don't use A/C, they us DC, usually 12v. His setup runs off of a 12v batter that's kept charged with a $100 solar panel. The antennae is a ubiquity which is good for over a mile.

Where there there is a will , there is a way.

The simple low tech way might be to spend a few days narrowing the time down as much as possible then, simply taking position to wait. Just avoid engaging but record the event somehow.

Last edited:
A booster is not always required for this. A friend installed a camera on one end of a 40 acre property which the wifi router on the other end. Cameras don't use A/C, they us DV, usually 12v. His setup runs off of a 12v batter that's kept charged with a $100 solar panel. The antennae is a ubiquity which is good for over a mile.

Where there there is a will , there is a way.

The simple low tech way might be to spend a few days narrowing the time down as much as possible then, simply taking position to wait. Just avoid engaging but record the event somehow.
The cameras I installed required power 120v but they had a Transformer, the booster router was to crank the signal upon the Wi-Fi from the house

The cameras I installed required power 120v but they had a Transformer, the booster router was to crank the signal upon the Wi-Fi from the house
It's not an argument..not all cameras require that much power. It can be done with much lower power requirements. As you point out though the signal is important.. ubiquity makes a nice point to point solution that's low power.

As much as I hate wifi for security cameras, this can be done in situations like this. Depends on how bad you want it. I have a friend who did this exact thing with a directional antennae. Is there a specific reason to avoid wifi?
just because it's 2000 Ft away from the house, and through trees...just didn't think it was possible.

The trees might be problematic but my friends setup goes easily 4000 feet. It's Texas though so trees are probably not as big of an issue. Still it's the antenna that's the key not the camera with respect to distance and the ubiquity unit he has is a point to point pair.

Still of you're just trying to catch the person a stake out might be the easiest thing

If this happens around the same time or day, you could leave your phone out there one night with the local hotspot turned on
That would allow for a wifi enabled camera

Of course, i cant post the real solution on here, but it is a lot less modern (your a mechanic, I'm sure you got a 2 foot breaker bar kicking around)

Now, a rural area you say
To me, that means few secrets
How popular is this swill?

I cant think of any beer with a yellow label (but I haven't drank in almost a decade) but with a little investigation you might be able to figure out who it is

Now, one more thing to consider is this is wierd, a little too wierd to be random
So perhaps if your dad scratches his head real good he might he able to come up with someone who thinks he's done him wrong

It's twisted tea, but i called it beer for the sake of the conversation. it's 100% ALWAYS these.

it's probably been going on the better part of a year. every 1-3 days, 5-6 bottles show up.

my dads not a business owner or anything, so don't think he has too many enemy's.

My sister and I grew up in that house, and went to high school while living there, so we're probably the guilty party lol

It's one thing if it's random, or someone being goofy, but it's gone on long enough, and my aging dad has to pick them up when mowing, etc. So I've had enough.

yS92o-UbRC4A3S9a5KHF82R_W1WGJhbPsl2g-4ZiQ&usqp=CAU.jpg

I use a trail cam with solar power at my barn front door. It sends the pictures to my phone thru spy cam.
$100 a year for upto 500 pictures a month.

spypoint_75362498071055.jpg

It's twisted tea, but i called it beer for the sake of the conversation. it's 100% ALWAYS these.

it's probably been going on the better part of a year. every 1-3 days, 5-6 bottles show up.

my dads not a business owner or anything, so don't think he has too many enemy's.

My sister and I grew up in that house, and went to high school while living there, so we're probably the guilty party lol

It's one thing if it's random, or someone being goofy, but it's gone on long enough, and my aging dad has to pick them up when mowing, etc. So I've had enough.

View attachment 1716079122
Understood

Does your sister have any ideas who may be behind it ?

Is there any light poles at the entrance of your dads driveway or is it dark
Could be some kids just hanging out.
A pole with a fake camera mounted that can be easily seen and a smile your on camera sign is sometimes all it takes to stop this type of fooler or harassment

A friend of mine set up a Trail Camera at his hunting spot to see the deer activity.

Low and behold he caught the neighbor hunting there with the gun slung over his shoulder. Clear as day, could easily identify the person.

Motion Activated, day or night.

☆☆☆☆☆

View attachment 1716079122
Go to the local liquor stores and ask them to decribe the person buying that brand of beverage.

Have the cash register person say: "Please Don't Litter" at the time of sale. Would be fun to see the purchaser's reaction to that.

☆☆☆☆☆

Go to the local liquor stores and ask them to decribe the person buying that brand of beverage.

Have the cash register person say: "Please Don't Litter" at the time of sale. Would be fun to see the purchaser's reaction to that.

☆☆☆☆☆
In Ohio....even the dollar generals sell alcohol. Lol. This is pretty common stuff.

Is there any light poles at the entrance of your dads driveway or is it dark
Could be some kids just hanging out.
A pole with a fake camera mounted that can be easily seen and a smile your on camera sign is sometimes all it takes to stop this type of fooler or harassment
Dark. Maybe that'll work though, thanks.

Understood

Does your sister have any ideas who may be behind it ?
No, I was half joking. We haven't lived there since childhood. Would have been a long brewing distain if someone from HS decided to throw beer bottles in my dad's driveway 15 years later lol

That looks pretty good! Something like this Is what I'm looking for.

Screenshot_20230417-193314_SPYPOINT.jpg

The one I use has a solar panel on the top of it and has a 16 GB memory card in it.
It picks up motion 150 ft from it in daylite about 100 ft in the dark and then sends me a picture.

Last edited:
SOLIOM S600 3G/4G LTE Outdoor Solar Powered Cellular Security Camera Wireless,Pan Tilt 360°View Spotlight,1080p Night Vision,2 Way Talk,PIR Motion Sensor,No WiFi,US Version https://a.co/d/aOQg1xB

Thanks @Jadaharabi. I like that, or Maybe one that can pan. But that's an idea. Thanks buddy

-
Back