Recommendations for outdoor storage shed

-
IMG_5894.gif

Could you guys post pics of these ideas? I have no real experience when it comes to building structures. I understand the basic engineering theory behind materials and geometry but never built a static structure myself especially in a DIY with raw materials kind of way. I'm sure I could do it because I'm very detail-oriented and patient with getting each step done right but I can't throw something like this together the same way I could perhaps build a go-kart or amateur race car.

My dad is a civil engineer with hands-on construction and masonry experience but he lives far away from me :(

We are talking buildng a SHED!!!!! Try to make it square so your roof tin runs right. Put the 4 bys in the ground about 3 feet. I like to use ring shank nails so it NEVER come apart. Run things square, plum, and lever when required. I bet UTube has all kinds of vids, some might even make sense.

It's easy to figure out. Buildings are built on either 16 inch centers, 2 ft centers, or 4 ft centers. To describe this simpler, on a wall, there should be a stud every 16 inches, center to center. On a roof, there would be a rafter every 2 ft, center to center. To install a door or window, just place the framework in, while making sure there is a stud every 16 in, center

We are talking buildng a SHED!!!!! Try to make it square so your roof tin runs right. Put the 4 bys in the ground about 3 feet. I like to use ring shank nails so it NEVER come apart. Run things square, plum, and lever when required. I bet UTube has all kinds of vids, some might even make sense.

True I'm not trying to build a house lol.

So are you saying the 4-bys should be 3 feet under ground level? That would mean I'd need some kind of excavating equipment? I'll hit YouTube for more info and visuals.

True I'm not trying to build a house lol.

So are you saying the 4-bys should be 3 feet under ground level? That would mean I'd need some kind of excavating equipment? I'll hit YouTube for more info and visuals.
The hole diggers that work with your hands. Muscle power. Thats what I use at age 75. Call Lowe's, probably $50/ Or borrrow a pair form someone. Yea put them in the dirt so a 60-70 mph wind does not blow the bldg. away. Call a local building supply co.and just get prices on the lumber and tin. Then add price for nails/screws. Nothing is cheap but it is cheap when you do it!

The hole diggers that work with your hands. Muscle power. Thats what I use at age 75. Call Lowe's, probably $50/ Or borrrow a pair form someone. Yea put them in the dirt so a 60-70 mph wind does not blow the bldg. away. Call a local building supply co.and just get prices on the lumber and tin. Then add price for nails/screws. Nothing is cheap but it is cheap when you do it!

Ohh the 4x4s are vertical... I was thinking they were horizontal members so I was visualizing a rectangular pit 3 feet deep. See how clueless I am? LMAO

I like the idea of using wood for the framing because I can build it in stages to some degree.

Ohh the 4x4s are vertical... I was thinking they were horizontal members so I was visualizing a rectangular pit 3 feet deep. See how clueless I am? LMAO

I like the idea of using wood for the framing because I can build it in stages to some degree.
Hey bud, it piss pouring outside so here I am!!!!! I have built many sheds, barns over the decades. You are down South, NO snowload, an occasional hurricane might blow a little wind up there, a small tornado will blew it way anyway. MY method, lets just say 24 by 14 which the city boys will call a garage. A shed is smaller! right? Use 4 x 6 or 5 x 5 posts. 4 4 for a smaller shed. Yep thiose are upright. Dirt floor unless you want to spend a ton of $. Posts. YEA treated. Rafters are 2 x6, those attach to horizontal 2 x 6 or 2 x8 if yoy like . the tin attaches to 2 x 4s 24 on center, clser if anal. Sides same idea unless you want to use say plywood (No OSB) or tin.

OK so I am cheap, my labor is free, my wifes labor is free, and I am NOT fancy.

Let all the eexperts tell me where I am wrong. Codes? what are those??? Remember guys, this is rural sorta, Ga.!! :thumbsup:

I've finished moving into my new house that has a 2-car garage but half of the garage is currently taken up by all of my larger car parts (engines, transmissions, blocks, hoist etc.) and I want to get that crap out of there so I can actually use that garage space. I'd like to put a storage shed in my back yard for that purpose. It would be nice to be able to park my riding mower in there as well but there is already a nook on my back patio where the mower fits perfectly and it's about 90% covered from getting rained on.

I want something cheap, like $500-$1000. Just something to last 5-10 years and keep my car parts, yard tools and other random stuff out of the elements and about 36-40 square feet minimum. I'm looking at typical big-box stores (Lowe's, Home Depot etc) but not entirely opposed to ordering something online.
Instead of looking for a temporary shed, why not invest in some HD shelfing. You can buy online use shelving from stores going out-of-business. The floor under the shelves store my engines and transmissions and the upper shelving store my lighter items. A cheap shed will only cause your parts to rot in time. Don't waste your money.

Invite him over for a visit. I'm sure he would be glad to help you.
Could you guys post pics of these ideas? I have no real experience when it comes to building structures. I understand the basic engineering theory behind materials and geometry but never built a static structure myself especially in a DIY with raw materials kind of way. I'm sure I could do it because I'm very detail-oriented and patient with getting each step done right but I can't throw something like this together the same way I could perhaps build a go-kart or amateur race car.

My dad is a civil engineer with hands-on construction and masonry experience but he lives far away from me

Building a pole shad/barn is not cheap even if the guy builds it himself. But is willlast where those "you buy it and we deliver it and pay by the month" usually are pretty cheap for what they are. It ain't rocket science.

Best storage solution I've seen are shipping containers. Ypu can get a short or long one. Nice floor, weather proof, wide doors to get in and out. They're over $1000 but you get a huge amount of storage and only need a level site.

Go to sheds for less .com, bought a 12 x 20 garage kit from them for $1800 shipped, put in my own floor and wired for $2600 this was in 2017, I also rent a storage building, its getting too high to keep it $1800 a year.

OP give me the size of a shed you want and I will figure your lumber specs. Any idiot can buld a shed with a skill saw, level, square and string. Buy such at pawn shop or borrow from a neighbor. OK so you need a hammer..If you can't drive a nail, then go buy that high $ shed.

Shop Craig's List. We had a 6x8 metal shed that we had bought for $40 several years ago. Last year I gave it away on Craig's List. The guy and his wife lifted it onto my car trailer (I was recovering from surgery). I see sheds on Craig's List fairly often. Otherwise build something. I have my new garage, but still need more storage. I'm considering building a 10x12 on my new slab.

took these pics at my local lowes today. these are in stock here and pics are pretty self explaining. gives an idea what you may spend. can you not buy the kit and save some dollars, probably, but if you got a trailer, just go get it.

20230613_185341.jpg

20230613_185332.jpg

OP give me the size of a shed you want and I will figure your lumber specs. Any idiot can buld a shed with a skill saw, level, square and string. Buy such at pawn shop or borrow from a neighbor. OK so you need a hammer..If you can't drive a nail, then go buy that high $ shed.
Yep i resemble that

I built my own cause I needed more room in the shop.

0B1702FE-537C-4CAB-9AFC-696DC20C09FC.jpeg

80711256-52A3-4C21-8983-7B33F1C12E6C.jpeg

080A04A9-0009-43C5-B5F5-62C40E719565.jpeg

I'm not sure why I stopped getting notifications, I missed like the last 10 posts and forgot about this thread!

I checked the codes for GA and fortunately they're pretty lenient. Any structure that's under 120 square feet floor area doesn't need approval. In that case I guess I'll go for the max and do a 10'x12' shed.

I can drive nails no problem lol. I built a rocking chair in woodshop in 9th grade and a couple months ago built some ramps out of lumber (basically a T-profile) for driving my riding mower up into my pickup truck bed. Tbh I prefer screws lol but either way doesn't matter to me much. I already have a level and the previous homeowner left an L-square in the garage, all I need is a saw. I even have a set of hobby horses I normally use for painting parts.

Next big question though would be leveling/grading the ground, any tips on that? Can it be done by hand without much trouble? Most of the "Easy DIY" YouTube guys are like "yeah we just rented a BobCat, graded the dirt and put down gravel." I'd rather not rent equipment like that.

If your yard isn't too steep, you should be able to do it by hand with a Maddock and a shovel. You should probably set it up on some concrete blocks anyway, to get it off the ground slightly. Just find your highest point, get a 4" cap block level on the ground and stack another one on top of it, then level your other 3 corners off of that. Buy a string level to do that part with and it will be easier. You'll just have to drive some stakes up around the corners to do that part. Look up batter boards on You Tube and you'll see how it works. Spend the extra money on pressure treated lumber for the floor joists and floor. Use the 3-4-5 method to get your floor joist corners square and the rest should be easy. You're an engineer....you'll figure it all out. If you can find a miter saw (chop saw) and a Skil saw on Craigslist, you shouldn't need anything else other than a hammer and a drill to drive screws with. I prefer using screws too. Good luck with it. It's hotter'n the hinges of hell in GA this time of year, so drink plenty of water and take breaks in the shade or AC so you don't fall out from the heat.

:thumbsup:

Do you want a concrete floor? If so, 4 inch thick is plenty/ You and a helper can do it by pulling a 2 x4 across it. If it has to be finished someone will have to do that. Find a local concrete co. that will work with you to bring that little bit.

Al you need is a pole shed/building/

US Leisure
I got mine in 2010 when we moved outta the Burgh.
It was $100 off and I paid with gift cards so I earned about $1.60 in fuel perks. My parents blessed me with a cheap gene.

IMG_1199.jpeg

Bought this 7x7 two years ago and still happy with it.

IMG_2053.jpeg

-
Back