Recommendations on ignition and brakes

-

hellfirechrome

Reaction score
Car: 1966 Valiant 225 /6 power steering, manual drum brakes

OK so I need new brakes shoes, does anyone make a hi-performance drum brake shoe? I hate to have to spend the $ on swapping to discs with such a light little car. Here's a list of what I need; I'd like to know if there are good recomendations on what brands I should aim for and where to get it cheap :)

Ignition coil
Ignition wires
drum brake shoes, front and rear (gonna have my drums turned)

Thanks!!

Take a look at the MoPar mags, there are some offering on hi performance brake shoes, I just can't remember who has them.

On the ignition parts, I have allways like to add a multi stiking box, MSD, Mallory, etc.. and use there coil with it. The wires just need to be quality wires. I like the MSD wires alot though any maker will have a good set available.

The multi strike ignitions will help the engine burn all the gas for reduced emmissions, added mileage and quicker starts with more power. IMO, for the older cars, like ours, it's almost stupid to run without one. Resto guys exempt.

You can hide the box under the battery tray and paint it engine color if need be.

OH, open up the plug gap to approx. .050 - .055 for better results.

You're probably right :) Where would I find a kit? I am ready to order today, and I don't have a local magazine shop to go to right now..... I had an MSD system on my '58 Chevy Biscayne 383 and OH. MY. GOD. was that thing FAST!! Haha the Edelbrock intake/carb helped a bit too, sure.... ;)

Any linning you buy today will be better than the asbestos linnings that came with the car. the shoe is the tricky part. Some may be 15th use originals and others may be chineese repops. Who knows whats best ?
The brake hardware needs a close inspection too. Nothing lasts forever.
Good luck

You're making my day! Thank you Rumble!

PS I grew up in NY.... after the summer I plan on taking a cross-country trip back home in my Valiant!

Yeah my brakes work, just feel soft and squeak a bit. I can tell they're worn. I'll be doing new cylinders and springs as well.

Went to JEGS- they have the stuff I needed, and should have brake shoes too. I gotta go measure my drums- unless someone knows what I would have? Like I said, 225/6 manual drums and power steering, '66 Signet

9" drums on your car.
I like HEI for the ignition about $100 less than MSD and just as good a spark. Use NGK ZFR5N spark plugs and gap at 45 thou. Go to slantsix.org for a LOT of good slant 6 advice including a HEI step by step.
Frank

-
Back