Recommended speakers?

-

Smileb1g

Reaction score
I'm working on a 71' dart swinger and don't know anything about speaker brands/sizes. I wanna put some good ones in because I'm a music lover, so I was wondering what size speakers I should get and maybe what brands are recommended? Any advice is appreciated. Thank you!! :supz:

Ac/delco 6x9 from the junkyard. They kick, sound great, and are next to free!

I like to fill the car with sound by adding speakers to the front. They do sell aftermarket replacement kick panels for A-bodies that have speakers built into them so that you don't have to butcher your door panels.

I like to fill the car with sound by adding speakers to the front. They do sell aftermarket replacement kick panels for A-bodies that have speakers built into them so that you don't have to butcher your door panels.
Yeah I was thinking about that as well! Nice ride by the way that thing looks good!!

Thanks. I didn't have any kick panels in the car when I bought it so for me the speaker option was a win/win.

If you are a music lover, research CDT speakers, some of the best mid range and vocals reproduction I have heard!

Funny to are talking about this... I just installed mine this weekend, sure makes a big difference.....

Attachments

• 1012907_10200874689188201_7269816025833113888_n.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 217
[ame="http://www.ebay.com/itm/1967-1969-plymouth-barracuda-kick-panels-67-68-69-/180151344257?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item29f1db5c81&vxp=mtr"]1967 1969 Plymouth Barracuda Kick Panels 67 68 69 | eBay[/ame]

I bought mine off of eBay. When you take into account that you are getting a new pair of kick panels and a new pair of speakers that are already mounted (and sound pretty good) it's not a terrible price.

I've got fairly new model Kenwood 6X9X4 way in the package shelf of my notch.
These do mid and high frequencies very well. There bass isn't as good. A 8" Bazooka bass tube in the right of the trunk or opposite the bumper jack makes it all good.
I just can't get onboard with the aftermarket kick speaker panels.
The factory put a speaker hole in the front lower corner of the doors. I have what I believe to be factory speaker grills for the doors of my 67 vert.
I think the "get a wire to there" is the one thing that makes that makes the kick panel location more appealing. If you do decide to use the holes in the doors, please know that the grilles will need to be shallow or you might bang your knuckles when winding the window.

If you do decide to use the holes in the doors, please know that the grilles will need to be shallow or you might bang your knuckles when winding the window.
x2. I had some there in my 75 and had to be really careful about rolling the window down.
I've had a few different speaker configurations in my dusters over the years.

First setup was 2 6x9's in the rear deck with 2 12's in the trunk -- huge amount of bass that seemed to wash out the highs.
I added some shallow 3.5" speakers to the doors and that helped with the mid range, but highs were still a bit overwhelmed.

Best sounding setup was 2 3" speakers in the dash, 2 5.25" speakers in the kick panels, 2 6x9's in the rear deck, and 2 10" in the trunk.
The 4 front speakers wired to front output of the stereo.

I know that seems like a lot of speakers, BUT you can get superb sound without it being ungodly loud.

One other thing. Spend some $$ on a good receiver, it will allow you to "tune" the system for the way you like to listen to music. A good deck will let you get the best sound possible even out of crappy speakers.

I prefer pioneer units. Something just down from the "premier" line. I don't really care about an animated screen, just something that has tons of audio adjustments and enough power to drive everything but the sub(s)

I'm currently working on ( among other things ) my setup and went with pioneer 5.25", kenwood 6x9's ( free ), and punch p1 12's because I found an almost brand new set at a pawn shop for dirt cheap...wish I had looked for 10's as the quarter panel boxes are turning out to be a real pain to build with how deep the speakers are.

You can see a trend here. $$ on the deck, cheap decent speakers. Most newer cars have decent enough speakers to meet the need if you've got a local yard, but there are lots of aftermarket speakers that are inexpensive.
The pioneer DEX-6600BT is the newer model of what I'm running. At $130 with bluetooth, smartphone control, high pass filter, sub frequency control and all kinds of goodies, it's a good buy IMHO ( I think I found my next receiver :lol: )

Good sounding is a matter of opinion and how well you hear things .
If you want it to sound real good and even you need subwoofers or even just one sub and a 5channel amp to run the subs ,mids and tweets .
Whoever said jl audio is correct !!!
The thing with jl audio speakers is that they are designed for tight
Places and require very little air space to sound optimum .
You can put together a very nice system for about 1200.00
That sounds clear clean and well mixed .
6x9 speakers will work but they never sound as good as mids tweets and subs .
Also whenever you do not have enough power to run the speakers they sound like an ice pick stabbing your ear when you turn it up .
Best of luck !!
Rock on !!!!
Jim

-
Back