Redline

-

Reaction score
How do you decide on how to build your engines redline limit is it 500-1000 above peak power?

depends on what the car is doing if its street car any wear from 5500-6500 for street and strip 6500 - 8000 pluse .

All depends on the expectations and budget. Mopar lower ends are pretty stout with good machining, so it takes some big expectations to force upgrades. If it's a drag car i'll consider having some extra rpm there "just in case" and hte actual rpm will depend on horsepower and expected trap rpm.

It will be a street car that will see some strip time and be run on a few road courses my dyno software say I'll make 426HP @ 6600 and still make 400HP @ 7500. I know that's estimated numbers but the powerband should be similar so I'm thinking of 7500 redline.

The 273 I'm gonna build the bottom end should be good for 8000rpm's fully blueprinted with factory Steel indexed crank, scat rods, custom forged pistons with the oiling crossover tube so the redline will be limited by my valve train. I'm going with solid roller cam and rockers not that i thinks its need for this power level but greedy trying to keep as much bottom end while still having a great top end. Also going with ported out 273 heads gonna run 11/32 valve around stock diameter with beehive springs and titanium retainers and the lightest 1.6 roller rockers which keep my spring pressures needs lower.

The 273 I'm gonna build the bottom end should be good for 8000rpm's fully blueprinted with factory Steel indexed crank, scat rods, custom forged pistons with the oiling crossover tube so the redline will be limited by my valve train. I'm going with solid roller cam and rockers not that i thinks its need for this power level but greedy trying to keep as much bottom end while still having a great top end. Also going with ported out 273 heads gonna run 11/32 valve around stock diameter with beehive springs and titanium retainers and the lightest 1.6 roller rockers which keep my spring pressures needs lower.

Don't forget your pushrods.
http://www.mantonpushrods.com/

I really hope you do something about the 273 exhaust manifolds. They flow like crappy, especially at Tue high rpms you want to run.

well then whats the cams power band if solid you geet a little more if it is hydrolic about 200rpm befor your cam runs outyou want your car to stay in its power range.

I'm gonna build my own headers maybe Tri Y's for more bottom end and ground clearance as for the custom solid roller cam it probably gonna be 268ish degrees and .550+ lift. Im waiting to port my heads and get them flow on a bench to see what lift I need and get away with the smallest duration that will accomplish my goals, I'd rather sacrifice top end for a broader power curve.

mike at mrl performance has top quality roller lifters for a great price maybe still on sale

So for this combination of engine and purpose do you think 7500rpm redline would be a good choice?

When you finally pull this off, and i'm sure you will, i want to see some good quality video, or should i say audio. Cause nothin' sounds like a short stroke at 7,500+. You've really done a lot of research on this build in the last few months, so i know it's gonna come together. Good luck on this and i can't wait to here it:D.

Right now im in the middle of a move and hoping start on the 65 Cuda in a couple of weeks she needs a lot of work already spent like $5000 on the front suspension and want to start the engine build in the fall I'll keep you guys informed with lots of pics. This will be my first complete engine build, I've done a few cam, high rise and header cars, I can't wait to hear her on the back stretch of Mosport road course revving full out.

ya 7500 is not going to be a problem iv had my 426 smallblock up to 8000 so you should have no problems just make sure your stuff is good or she will go bang hard but 7500 isnt going to be a problem for you.

-
Back