Redneck Inventions!

-
I had to give up at the dirt bike stern wheeler..................LOL

My good friend engineer buddy, RIP, who I ran around with in San Diego in my Navy days, told of a couple of his friends, made a trip up to the ham radio repeater on Mt Otay. One of them, WB6WLV, still carries those call letters to this day!!!

Anyhow, they were driving a Renault Dauphine, which you may remember, is rear engine, liquid cooled. "Something" went wrong with the carb/ fuel pump/ etc, and they ended up coming down off that mountain...............

With some windshield washer hose etc, which they used to siphon some gas out of the tank into a Pepsi bottle, then one of them would "hang out" one rear window, and siphon fuel from the Pepsi bottle through the tubing and let it dribble down into the carb, pinching the hose for "control."

This was sometime in the late 60's......early 70's

NOW THAT is REDNECK!!!

Last edited:
I broke a clutch cable in a Subaru GL10 and used a rope to pull the clutch in through the firewall. Got me home from San Bernardino to Huntington Beach, about 50 miles.

I broke a clutch cable in a Subaru GL10 and used a rope to pull the clutch in through the firewall. Got me home from San Bernardino to Huntington Beach, about 50 miles.

Been a few times I've driven with no clutch. Just start it up in first gear and as the "internet truckers" say, "float" the gears

1...Around 69, a long weekend, Memorial or Labor I forget. The guy (George) who would later be the first owner of my 70 RR at this time had a 65 Chevelle, into which he'd swapped a 350/ 4 speed and Rally wheels off a wrecked 67 Camaro. He ripped all the hide off the disc somewhere up towards Oregon, we had to drive clear back to San Fran. We drove a couple hundred miles, as I recall, untill we stopped somewhere in S Oregon. He had friends there, and the local stock car guys got us into a parts store......on Sunday.....on a 3 day holiday, to buy a clutch. I got to shimmy under the car, one side up on the curb, the other front up on the spare tire and 2x4's and pull that ***** apart
2....Converted my 63 SS to stick from PG, had to drive to a welding shop, see (1) above!!
3....Broke the link in my 69RR, no big deal, see (1) above

4....Same deal in the 70RR, I've forgotten, yep, (1) above!!

5...Clutch cable in the Yamaha 650 Special 45 miles from home, that was a little more tricky, but, ................(1).............above!!!

3....Converted my

I have used a 5/8 craftsman short socket for a driveline cap to get home before.

Also took my shoe laces off and ran one through each wing window to make the wipers go back and forth. (I pulled the drivers side and the passenger pulled his side)

Ran a Cushman scooter over to my friends house with NO carb doing the drizzle from the fuel line into the intake on the head method.

Disassembled a barbed wire fence to make a clutch cable for my dirt bike out in the middle of nowhere 30 miles from home.
The trail home was to technical to try without a clutch.

I think a lot of us have used a plastic milk jug tied to the antenna to bypass a bad fuel pump.

I used a boot band for a carter carb return spring, had to get back to base before I was UA. barbed wire fence for a clutch cable, that is wild! I think someone bought a bus with no clutch here, old guy drove it without one.

I drove my '55 buick to school with no fuel pump and no master cyl.

Had the glass washer fluid jar full of gas and every few hundred feet, pushed the washer button.
Had vice-grips on the parking brake release and stopped using the parking brake pedal on the rear wheels only (I'm sure we've all done that one).

My '66 olds 98 broke the trans mount cross member (rusted out) late at night.

I used a coat hanger to wire it back up, and actually pulled it up off the street while sitting in the driver's seat, then tied it off. Before I got home the other side did the same thing!

I was afraid I might qualify as redneck, but after watching I am only guilty of 6 of that long list. OK so I admit to 12.

Git-R-Dun

lifebuzz-a12aeb638f75a7d597cab4edf6e0041c-limit_2000.jpg

I have used a 5/8 craftsman short socket for a driveline cap to get home before.

Also took my shoe laces off and ran one through each wing window to make the wipers go back and forth. (I pulled the drivers side and the passenger pulled his side)

Ran a Cushman scooter over to my friends house with NO carb doing the drizzle from the fuel line into the intake on the head method.

Disassembled a barbed wire fence to make a clutch cable for my dirt bike out in the middle of nowhere 30 miles from home.
The trail home was to technical to try without a clutch.

I think a lot of us have used a plastic milk jug tied to the antenna to bypass a bad fuel pump.
My god I thought I was the only one that had a roll of duct tape and bailing wire in every car and bike. I might not be a top notch gear head but by god I was gonna drive it home no matter what. you guys are great and glad to see I'm not the only one that can mickey mouse.

Pulling a 48' gooseneck from Missouri to Houston behind my 82 Ford 1 ton. Broke a motor mount half way there, in the middle of the night. Chained the motor to the frame, and finished the trip.

-
Back