Redondo thumb wheel Radio installation in a 1969 Barracuda mounting issue

-

1969FB & 1967NB Cuda

Reaction score
I bought a Redondo thumb wheel radio and the mounting wont work because of the Barracuda unique dash design. The mounts use offset studs and the Redondo brackets wont work? anybody had this issue?

I'm thinking maybe ordered the wrong one? Specify to them what it's going in.
I can't remember if I read bad reviews about Redondo or Retrosound.
Good luck.

Do the mount plates swap?

if so you need the A-body mounts.

The mounting on the 68-69 Barracudas is different because the instrument cluster and the radio bezel is all one piece. The Darts, Valliant's and all the B bodies have a separate radio mounting bezel. Instead of the mounting next to the thumb wheels the left is offset above and the right is offset to the right.

retrosound-redondo-thumb-wheel-black.jpg

These pictures are of the OEM radio
69 Cuda radio bezel.jpg
69 Cuda radio offset mounting holes 1.jpg
69 Cuda radio in dash 1.jpg

View attachment 1715704976

Last edited:
Do the mount plates swap?

if so you need the A-body mounts.
There are no mounts, just the holes in the dash with studs that slide in front to back. The right side is recessed and the left is above same way with flush mounting stud facing inward. If I drill and bolt through the front, the head of the bolt wont let the instrument panel lay flat against the metal dash

That middle pic is right. Is this what your new radio has?

if not replace the whole front bezel if possible

That middle pic is right. Is this what your new radio has?

if not replace the whole front bezel if possible
retrosound-redondo-thumb-wheel-black.jpg

This is the new radio. The mounting are on each side. My oem radio has offset mounting as you can see. I dont want to cut the stock instrument panel

Wonder if the side brackets and thumb wheels are interchangeable to meet your desire and need?

I guess if you are handy, you can re-work the left side bracket to work. Does the right side line up?

if the stars in the third pic above are correct, then I assume the answer is no!

If really ambitious you could cut the right side recess from the dash frame and move it over, reweld and create the same on the left.

lots of work though!

If the clowns advertised it for a barracuda dash make the pricks fix it. Why should you have to "fix" their mistake?

Wonder if the side brackets and thumb wheels are interchangeable to meet your desire and need?
s-l1600.jpg

Notice the Barracuda is different from the rest. That left mount is offset up and set back and the right side is just offset to the right.

Last edited:
I guess if you are handy, you can re-work the left side bracket to work. Does the right side line up?

if the stars in the third pic above are correct, then I assume the answer is no!
No the right side is also offset to the right and recessed in a square pocket as in the pic

The mounting on the 68-69 Barracudas is different because the instrument cluster and the radio bezel is all one piece. The Darts, Valliant's and all the B bodies have a separate radio mounting bezel. Instead of the mounting next to the thumb wheels the left is offset above and the right is offset to the right.

View attachment 1715704996

These pictures are of the OEM radio View attachment 1715704973 View attachment 1715704974 View attachment 1715704975

View attachment 1715704976

See those two brackets with the mounting holes attached to the radio? You have arrows pointing to them. Take them off the old radio and attach them to the black brackets supplied by Redondo. Then you can use the original mounting holes. I wasn't as lucky as you to have an original radio so I had to make brackets. Also, you will need to use the supplied bracket that attaches to the stud on the back of the radio to adjust height. There is a hole in the rear of the dash frame, luckily enough that you can use to attach it. You will have to play with the adjustments a little but it will fit ok. Here's a pic of my install

I had to go back and re adjust the pushbuttons more level but other than that, the radio works perfectly. I love the bluetooth option especially being able to stream Spotify for music instead of fooling with cd's.

DSCN5296.JPG

Redumdo should correct the mistake. Why didn't you have your orginal radio modified?

Last edited:
-
Back