Redwing boots

-

GeorgeH

Reaction score
Well the better half surprised me with a new pair of 218's for Xmas. I was very surprised and grateful. My old ones are 7 years old, on their second set of soles , and are a little too beat up to wear around town, and have been a great boot. Been wearing Redwings USA built boots over 20 years.
I took the new ones back. A bad blemish in the leather in the shaft where it was paper thin and the leather in general is much thinner than the old ones. The store was apologetic and ordered another pair that hasn't come in yet. Not faulting the the guy or the store, and he kinda understood when I told him if I wanted a lightweight boot I could get a Chinese logger boot for $220 less. I'm not expecting much with the second pair. Problem is , with nerve damage on my left side which causes numbness and a slightly droopy foot I really need the ankle support the heavy leather gives my foot and a boot with linesman shank.
Might need to find a new bootmaker....... Nick's, White's, Wesco's etc

a lot of the redwings are made overseas now.. gotta look and make sure what ones are made where.

I wear the 2211s for work and everyday. They're super comfortable. My biggest problem is the laces always break when I tighten them so I have to go a different route with laces. On top of that these boots only last me 1.5-2years. :(

I have their Irish setters for work very comfortable, just need to get some new inserts but wow what a difference over the light weight shoes I use to wear.

Too narrow of a bottle for a wide foot. I go canadian made Dakota with a triple E size then add the Dr scholls custom fit insoles. Super comfortable for me to stand all day

I climbed poles for 28 years. I used Redwings from 1978 to 1992. Then I got a pair of Wesco's! I got the custom fits, and they are the best boots ever. I used Wesco's until 2005, when I got a job where I no longer have to climb. I still need EH rated, hard toe boots, so I now wear Keen hiker style boots. They are just as comfortable the first time you wear them as they are when they're worn out and ready to be thrown away!

I climbed poles for 28 years. I used Redwings from 1978 to 1992. Then I got a pair of Wesco's! I got the custom fits, and they are the best boots ever. I used Wesco's until 2005, when I got a job where I no longer have to climb. I still need EH rated, hard toe boots, so I now wear Keen hiker style boots. They are just as comfortable the first time you wear them as they are when they're worn out and ready to be thrown away!
I'm really liking the options Wesco has on getting a pair of boots made. An optioned out boot is up there though.

Company I retired from gave us a boot allowance every year for Redwings....At that time they were the most comfortable boots I ever wore.They didn't even hurt my feet when I had to walk 10 miles a day doing leak survey on cross country gas lines.

I switched from redwing king toe to red backs. No more broken laces.

9765.jpg

The brown ones are suppose to be the best. Black have an extra seam the is the first thing to go.

UNPU_A.jpg

Last edited:
Most of the younger guys at work wear Halls or Whites nowadays. I had just sent my Wescos off to be recapped when I got this job, and haven't worn them since I got them back. I've got oddball feet, is the reason I splurged and got the custom fits. I have one foot slightly bigger than the other, and both of my feet are flatter'n my sister-in-laws chest! LOL:p

I had a pair of red wings I bought back in the early 80's and they were always the best boots. When my son was a boy scout we went on this 15 mile hike and the last mile was on a gravel road and every time I took a step it felt like I was barefoot on gravel. When we got to camp I started looking at them real close and the whole bottom was almost smooth like a moccasin, I got to thinking about it and I'd been working in those boots about 30 years. I finally had to let them go.

I switched from redwing king toe to red backs. No more broken laces.

View attachment 1715003350

The brown ones are suppose to be the best. Black have an extra seam the is the first thing to go.

View attachment 1715003355

Interesting, those boots are called "Blundstones" in Canada. They look identical, anyway. I bought a pair of those used at "Value Village" for 18 bucks as an every day boot, didn't even realize they had steel toes til I went through airport security. I've been wearing them as my workboot for the last year and love them, and my last pair of work boots were Redwings. They are the black ones too, haven't had any problems with seams but I'm wearing through the toe on my right foot.

Danner Bullrun 6" Moc Toe all day...

15563?$danner_13_pdp$.jpg

Own a pair for work, and a pair for around town. Super comfortable, high quality and a great look.

Check out Viberg they used to be guaranteed for life , they would resole them , restitch them whatever it took , they where custom fit then but now they have retail lines . These boots are considered to be amongst the best boots in the world .I was a Redwings guy when I lived in the states back in the nineties , now I'm doing mostly finishing work these days so I picked up a light weight skater shoe with all the tags but most of the older trades guys around here swear by the Vibergs .

-
Back