Redwing steel toe work boot recall.

-
Thanks Joe. I don't have any Red Wings myself, but I have looked at some recently.

Just ordered a pair from a local shoe store yesterday. First time ever buying Red Wing. So, was interested to see what this covered. Looked on there site and...

First I was disappointed (but not entirely surprised) to find out the pair I ordered is made in China. Then I started looking at a bunch of the #s recalled - and found every one I checked is made in USA - mostly with imported materials.

Thanks! I have a pair, but bought them in 2010 and my feet aren't as big as the recalled boot sizes.
And mine were made in China. Sad.

A little off subject, but I just bought some new Dickie's socks, of all places, at Wal Mart. American made, and damn, they are comfortable.

Composite toe is the right choice.

I specifically sought out a pair of black leather composites that are 100% USA made. They weren't the cheapest pair on the shelf, but they don't get stupid cold in the winter, like the aluminum and steel toes do.

Also, just a heads up, wear a sock with 50/50% nylon/cotton.

If you wear a white, cotton sock, it will wear out the lining at the roof of the toe and in other places, quickly. The nylon ones breathe and insulate better, also much more comfortable and don't pill up and tear as easy as white cotton ones do.

I take the laces out and oil mine up once a week to keep the leather nice.

I have a pair of redwing boots I bought in 1995 and just sent them back to redwing for new soles. I never wear steel toes. Not required to at work and never liked them.

I don't like them, because they are cold and can collapse under a lot of impact, trapping your foot in a severe accident. Composites do the same thing, but when they do give, they crack, instead of bend.

Just out of curiosity, how much did a re-sole cost you?

I'll stick with my timberland pro series, have never done me wrong.

I've always liked my Doc Martin's.......I always liked the spongy sole and ample cushioning.......but I believe they've gone from being made in England, to being made in China as well. And.....I could swear I can feel that they're just not as comfortable now. No joke. I would say my second choice for comfort are my Caterpillar brand boots. I started out buying Red Wing boots, and no other. They're not bad either.

I don't like them, because they are cold and can collapse under a lot of impact, trapping your foot in a severe accident. Composites do the same thing, but when they do give, they crack, instead of bend.

According to the RW guy, it's $80.

Had a pair of Chinese made Redwings, whatever "black" dye they used on the upper's inside lining turned my legs and socks blue and caused a nasty rash. Had bleeding raw spots the size of quarters, and itched like hell.

Paid nearly $200, wore them less than two weeks, chunked 'em in the trash. Rash started clearing up immediately. No telling what kind of nuclear fish guts the Chinee made the dye from.

Now days name brands are just that. A name.

Mine are black. USA made, no issues.

For what it's worth, I used to have black leather dye from my Doctor Martens 8 holes color my socks for the first two months.

I stopped buying Docs when they were purchased by the Nike corporation. I bought one pair, not knowing, to replace my 3rd worn pair that I had for 4 years...

The replacement pair lasted less than two months before the sole split apart at a heat joint that wasn't even a sewn or cloth bonded seam.

Doc Martens are a thing of the past, IMO. Someone told me some pairs are made in England. Went on their website and saw some NOS stuff, but nothing else as far as I could tell.

I work in oil/grease and saltwater. If I get 6 months out of a pair of boots I'm doing good. Best pair of boots I ever had were Thorogood, made in Wisconsin with 100% American materials. Lasted almost a year and were damned comfortable.

Went to get another pair, couldn't find any. Boot store said they didn't move fast enough so they quit carrying them. From what I gather, they are now made in China too.

$75 fot Vibram lug soles. They did a very nice job. I thing the price has gone up since I had them done about a year and half ago.

-
Back