Reference pics and help needed for 69 340

-
Thanks, either way I will need a different timing cover as mine is 70 and up right?

No you don't need another cover unless you are a numbers matching have to have the exact correct part on the engine. You use a '70 up cover with a '68 and earlier bolt on timing pointer that way you can set your timing from the passenger's side where you won't have the lower hose in the way. That is the set up I have on my stroker because I wanted to leave original cover on the original engine. That guy above with the picture of the cover on the engine that is the correct '69 cover.

Here is my '70 up timing cover with a '68 and earlier bolt on timing pointer. This way I can set timing from the passenger's side. The balancer is a Mopar Performance replacement which is marked for the '70 up covers so I had to remark it for the timing pointer. I used a hack saw to create the new top dead center mark on the balancer. Notice how timing pointer bolts to the lower two holes of the water pump.

Attachments

• TimingPtr1.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 197
  • TimingPtr2.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 205
  • TimingPtr3.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 182
Took some extra pics while I was out in the garage mine as well share em.
578371_10152167688725573_1773905049_n.jpg

22592_10152167689235573_533910931_n.jpg

Thanks 340sfastback, I was wondering if holes had to be drilled, but I see that you use existing bolts. Pretty straight fwd fix.

Hey skep, you got a garage full of goodies there! Whats going on with the 2 darts?? That ford truck sure looks clean, what year is it??

Thanks 340sfastback, I was wondering if holes had to be drilled, but I see that you use existing bolts. Pretty straight fwd fix.

Hey skep, you got a garage full of goodies there! Whats going on with the 2 darts?? That ford truck sure looks clean, what year is it??

The Red Dart my dad bought for me when I was around 12 (1996). It had a 318,904,7 1/4. It now has a ede headed 360,727,8 3/4.

The Yellow Dart I bought last year planning to put the drivetrain from the red car in the yellow car (SD car lot less rust) Friends talked me out of scrapping my first car stating "I would regret it later". So since I can never make up my mind on which direction to go with the red dart. I have enough motors and trannys to build 3 cars. 318/340/360 904/727/a833 check!

The Ford is a 1978 ranger half ton with a 400. Its my neighbors truck. Long story short he doesn't have a garage. he was wrenching in his front yard storm coming towed into my garage. put in new fuel tank,sender,ditched the 2 barrel intake for ede non egr unit. scrapping the dura spark 2 for hei style distributer. hopefully its done and out of the garage before the snow flys. Have another neighbor across the street with a 66 ford custom 500 ex cop car 390 itching to get going again.

They are all mopar fans at heart. Both fords were father son hand me downs.

Ok well I picked up an alt bracket from the salvage yard. Here are some pics with the 2groove crank pulley(forgot to take a side shot) and then with the single groove crank pulley. The timing cover is wrong, but that will be changed when the time comes. The single groove still doesnt look right. It came from a 68 318

Attachments

• DSCF9114 (Medium).jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 167
  • DSCF9118 (Medium).jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 177
  • DSCF9119 (Medium).jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 182
  • DSCF9121 (Medium).jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 181
Well I think I figured out the problem, thanks to you guys/gals. I have a spare balancer with pulley and dbl chkd my single groove crank pulley with the spare blue balancer..and it fits on the spare balancer. I measured the hole to hole on the blue balancer and one hole is different. I then measured the balancer thats on my engine and all the holes are equal. So it looks like the balancer on the engina is 70 and up?? No big deal as I will be buying a new balancer before the engine goes into the car.

I just thought I would update this...

Thanks all!!

Attachments

• DSCF9908 (Medium).jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 180
-
Back