refresh my memory on stroker timing,carb ?

-

prodart340

Reaction score
got the stroker running and having some timing whoas, I think. If I recall correctly, someone on here said something to the affect, a small block stroker,416", would like to see around 18-21 degrees initial timing, is this true? My carb question may go away with a little more timing, but at 20* it starts to get a little tough to start.:help: Thanks in advance,Mike

A lot depends on the package. If you have a lot of cylinder pressure, you may not want or need that much lead. Smaller cams, and static compression around 9.5 or 10:1 that have cams with less duration at .050 than around 225 may have problems with too much lead. Also, your starting system may have issues if you run the factory type starter rather than a modern mini starter.

11.2/1 compression,eddy heads from shady dell, super victor w/ quick fuel q-750, tti step headers,.603/.604 lift,274/272 duration solid roller,eddy dizzy w/ msd 6al.........motor's built, just tryin' to get the tune right. and yes ,it has a mini starter

I "work backwards," mainly because most of my life, I've used various used distributors with ?? about their advance curve.

So first, I take a wild guess at total mechanical, leave the vacuum off (often don't run it later, either) and diddle with the total until I'm happy with WOT high RPM power and lack of "pink"

Then after getting the total happy, I check the initial at low RPM, and see where it landed with the total I set. If it's "reasonable" I don't worry about it, if not, I either find some different advance parts, use a different distributor, or finally, braze up the slots and go to work.

Last, I play with the springs to get the rate I want.

That all ended when I got an Accel with adjustable mechanical.

One thing you do NOT want is the starter kickin' at ya. You can break important stuff like the starter........the ring gear.........

I just went through this with my 416. The builder had put it at 36* total but I pulled the dist and drive gear to lube and had it a tad off when I put it together (maybe one tooth on the gear). Now set at about 36* - hard to tell exactly with the MSD buzzing. 10-1 alum eddy heads, runs great on 93 pump gas. Fires right up with no issues with seeming too advanced.

I run about 22 initial on my 408. 10.25:1, 337*/5.25" lift cam, ootb eddy heads.
It idles well and comes off idle well but I use a kill switch to start it- spin it then fire it.

good luck
radar

for every engine thats not the same as the next...it will be different, close but not the same.

my 410 liked 32*total and 24* initial...wit a 8* advance all in by 2200.

I went through that with a 340, and now with a 445. What works is;start initial around 18, play with it, best rpm, best vacuum it won't kick back, lock down, and write it down.

Rev it, and check total, write it down. Now, go find a hill, and lug it up the hill; no ping, more advance, until it pings. Back off 2 degrees, and go home and read the total.

Now you have changed the initial, so; timing light the total, at rpms, then from that #, subtract the original initial # it likes.

Then adjust, however, which way depends on make, the limit in the distributor, to have that much advance. Then reset at initial; total should be correct.

And the total it wants constantly changes, with gas, weather, etc.

Example; the new 440 today, wanted more than 36, but dist had 18 in it. Putting more total in it, raised initial into kick-back. Re-curve time.

thanks guys,I knew if I put enough info up , somebody would help,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,hope the weather is nice tomorrow

11.2/1 compression,eddy heads from shady dell, super victor w/ quick fuel q-750, tti step headers,.603/.604 lift,274/272 duration solid roller,eddy dizzy w/ msd 6al.........motor's built, just tryin' to get the tune right. and yes ,it has a mini starter

That sounds like a killer SB and I have to wonder if the 750 is enough carb. I have an 830 on my 416. May have to try the 750 from the 340 after changing the main jets to match the 416's in the 830 as it was tuned on the dyno. My 416 has about 36* total which I may back off a couple next run.

That sounds like a killer SB and I have to wonder if the 750 is enough carb. I have an 830 on my 416. May have to try the 750 from the 340 after changing the main jets to match the 416's in the 830 as it was tuned on the dyno. My 416 has about 36* total which I may back off a couple next run.

Jetting is dependent on rated cfm/bleed sizing etc....
so u dont need to change the 750 to the 830's jetting...u need to run it as is ootb with it's MATCHED jet/bleed setup and then tune it from there if need be.

Well I would not just switch but the 750 worked well on the 340 and the 830 works pretty well on the 416 except it stumbles off the line when I nail it (footbraking with a low sytall converter). I would look at what the jets were before deciding to do anything. Tempted to try the 750 though and see it it has any effect on the times.

Well I would not just switch but the 750 worked well on the 340 and the 830 works pretty well on the 416 except it stumbles off the line when I nail it (footbraking with a low sytall converter). I would look at what the jets were before deciding to do anything. Tempted to try the 750 though and see it it has any effect on the times.

depends on volumetric efficiency.

the 830 sounds like it need the pump shot tailored.

maybe more volume/pump cam if ur already in the mid 30's with the shooters.

have fun and let us know what u find when u do.

-
Back